No more Bottle

My son is 16 months and he is still on the bottle. I want to wing him off of it but as my baby I feel bad taking it away from him since I let my oldest drink the bottle in-till 2yrs

beautiful2257

Asked by beautiful2257 at 2:20 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• each child is different so we learn from the older ones and adapt the younger ones to what we learn...get rid of the bottles...don't leave any of them in your house...if he knows that they are there, he will refuse anything else since you will eventually give in and get him a bottle...
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:23 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• we took away the bottle at 2 for each of my girls. on their 2nd bday we made a big deal about it and they put the bottles in a bag to give to a baby that can use them.

but #3 quit cold turkey at around 18 months. she just didn't want anything to do with a bottle again.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:32 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I finally got mine off of a bottle just 2 weeks ago. He's 18 months. He's been drinking water from a sippy since 7 months old, but refused to drink milk from anything but a bottle (even though he was BF for nearly 11 months). The way I got him off the bottle was finding a sippy he loved. I had to get a tall, slender one (guessing because it was more like a bottle than the short squatty ones). We tried 5 different sippies and finally he took milk from the tall Platex sippy with the hard spout. He was done with bottles right away after that.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:50 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I understand what you're saying. My daughter is 15 months and still on the bottle. Everyone spews all the crap about how it's bad for their teeth and whatnot. So the first year is okay for their teeth? My daughter didn't even get teeth until about 11 months, so I figure she has plenty of time. Besides, I have never put her to bed with a bottle and I brush her teeth twice a day and after her last bottle. She does drink sippies throughout the day and anytime we leave the house, since those are harder to "paint" with . . . lol. Just morning and night bottles usually. I will cut her off by 2 years old, but maybe not until then . . . we'll see.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:50 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Mine were off the bottle at 6 months. As soon as they can drink from a cup (sippy, straw or otherwise) there is no longer any NEED for the bottle and it should be gone.
    Anonymous

• my daughter was off the bottle at 12 months my son is 16 months and still ont he bottle he does use a cup but at nap and bedtime he still needs that confort the morning he really doesnt care but he also has acid reflux so that may b a reason that he wants then when he sleeps u'll know when its time or ur child will tell u i would let it go past 2 tho itll just b harder if he uses a paci that may help break easer my daughter gave the paci up first then the bottle and my son doesnt use one most of the time its just a confort thing find a cup he likes and a stuffed animal or something else that he loves
    cocobutt2002

Answer by cocobutt2002 at 10:10 PM on Oct. 23, 2009