At what age should napping stop?

I have been told that the answer to this varies from child to child. I have also been told that in pre-school, they do still have a nap period, but they do not in Kindergarden anymore. Which is weird to me because we napped when I was in Kindergarden. I don't want my daughter to go into school expecting to nap when they don't do it anymore. So is there a specified time that children should be "weened" of napping? Kinda like potty training? Curious. thanks. (My daughter is just over 2 years old)

LRParrish

Asked by LRParrish at 2:23 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think no napping may depend on the school. When I student taught in a full day kindergarten they had and hour rest time. The Teacher would read a story. The kids would lay on their blankets and listen and then the teacher would give them a coloring sheet to color that went with the story. They would stay on their blankets and color. But about half would fall asleep during the story. So if they wanted to nap, or needed to nap they could.
    Anonymous

• Mine stopped at the age of 3 so far. We'll see what the youngest is going to do.

Our preschools around here don't nap....but they're only 1/2 days so it would be really silly to make them nap in the afternoon. Daycare's around here do still have daycare kids lay down to rest at 3 and 4 though.

I just followed my kids lead. They started fighting the nap, sleeping for shorter times, fighting going to bed and having trouble going to sleep at night..so we cut out the afternoon nap. It did take a while for them to be totally used to going without it, maybe a week or so. But I just kept them busy for the afternoon and they usually were just a little grouchy in the evenings.

Now, if they are sick that's different...they do lay down and usually fall asleep.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:30 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• My older son is almost 5 and still takes his naps. My younger son is almost 4 and although i do still lay him down for a nap every day, he doesn't always need one.

btw. my older son is in full day Kindergarten. but i give him a nap right after school.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:37 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I'd say stopping a nap before 4 yrs old is too soon. It will vary from child to child but up to age 4 you should provide a nap time. If they can't sleep, they can at least have a 2 hour "quiet time."
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:47 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• It depends on the child, not the age.
    I have a 7 year old that I swear could still USE a nap most days.
    Anonymous