What would it take for an exdh stop paying child support?...

I know he will go to jail or pay a fine. But really say if it was up to him to stop.

Would the bm have to die or what? Or what other reasons?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:35 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Are you asking the legal reasons it can stop? Usually it's upon the child reaching age 18, or 21 if they go to college, the child gets married or emancipated before age 18, or the child dies. I think there might be a couple of others, but they are usually all listed in the child support order. The mother being alive or dead makes no difference; if she died, then the money would just go to whoever has custody of the child, if it isn't dad.

If you're asking what reasons men would use to stop, well, that is just too varied to answer. Most men who stop don't need a reason, they just stop.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:39 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• My ex stopped when I married my dh and stopped working. He said if I wasn't working, then he shouldn't have to either. Yes - we're waiting to go to court because it's been over a year since he paid, but while we wait my kids still have to eat and have clothes to wear.

Answer by missanc at 4:20 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• To legally stop paying child support for a child:
    Gain custody of the child.
    Child turns 18.
    Child gets emancipated.
    Child gets married.
    Child dies.
    Anonymous

• To legally stop paying...

Gets full custody of the child
    Child turns a certain age, anywhere from 18-21 depending on the child support and custody agreement.
    Child dies, gets married
    Parental rights are terminated.
    The person paying is physcially unable to work due to injury.

There may be others, depending on your state. Check with an attorney. If he stops paying, it takes a certain amount of money to be jailed. He will first lose his DL, hunting or fishing license, leins put on vehicles and property.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:17 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• physically unable due to injury...i could see my son's father going out and breaking his back to get out of paying me if he were to find out about that
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:05 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• No man should EVER stop paying child support. Period. Even if the mother of his child said you cannot see your child. It is not about anyone other than providing for that child's needs. So even after death - he provides. By what he paid in to social security it goes to assist the surviving parent with child care costs. So not even death can eliminate a father's responsibility and obligation.  My beef if when step moms have issues with child support.  If a woman has issues with her husband paying child support, and I always hear but what about "our" kids, too damn bad.  If you knew he had children before you married him it was your responsibility as a couple to work out your finances including this support.  The child will always come first.  If you didn't know about a child - you have a whole nother issue.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:35 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• No man should EVER stop paying child support. Period. Even if the mother of his child said you cannot see your child. It is not about anyone other than providing for that child's needs. So even after death - he provides. By what he paid in to social security it goes to assist the surviving parent with child care costs. So not even death can eliminate a father's responsibility and obligation. My beef if when step moms have issues with child support. If a woman has issues with her husband paying child support, and I always hear but what about "our" kids, too damn bad. If you knew he had children before you married him it was your responsibility as a couple to work out your finances including this support. The child will always come first. If you didn't know about a child - you have a whole nother issue.

I knew there would be one annoying answer in the bunch. Who cares about YOUR beef?? That beef is over cooked and old!
    Anonymous

• I knew there would be one annoying answer in the bunch. Who cares about YOUR beef?? That beef is over cooked and old!

But she's right. No man should ever get out of paying for his child. I dont care if they got remarried either. so once the man gets remarried and has kids then screw his first born, i dont think so.

Anonymous

When are some of you noodle brains going to understand?? It's not about NOT paying the support! It's about the BM trying to make the Dad homeless! Some of the dumba$$' should have kept her legs closed...she wouldn't be in the position she's in either! Two way street!
    Anonymous

• If he is on disability then you can receive part of that. That is how my mother received hers. My father moved to Arizona to avoid payment. He refused to come to Iowa to visit, because he was afraid of bein arrested. While states still vary, they have improved somewhat over the years.

My father also tried to split us up 2 and 2, so he would not have to pay. Of course he didn't actually intend to raise us himself. Thankfully she held her ground.

I have know a couple people that are not able to enforse it due to the fathers being illegal immigrants.
    ysmeine

Answer by ysmeine at 8:58 AM on Oct. 26, 2009