Did you wait until your water broke to go to the hospital?

Or when did you go? I have never been in labor on my own before...They told me to call if I have contractions 5 minutes apart or less or if my water breaks. I always thought your water was suppossed to break right before you push? (At least mine did) I do want to stay home as long as possible but at what point is it too late to get an epidural?
Thanks ladies!

MommyKKay

Asked by MommyKKay at 2:47 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• my waters never ruptured- two of my 3 were born "under the veil". the first one, i made the mistake of allowing them to artificially rupture... the pressure was incredibly strong with her. the others, not so much, it was like having an internal cushion.

anyway. i labored at home until i felt like it was time to go- first two were born in a hospital, and i think i may have been there about 90 minutes before i had ds, and about 20 before i had dd. (we lived a lat farther from the hospital with ds, with dd, we were 7 minutes away)
    the last one was a waterbaby, and i had him at a local birth center. cut it a little too close with him though, and almost had him in the car. lol thinking back, i wish i would have opted for a home birth.

anyway, just keep tabs on how you're feeling/coping, and if you feel like you need to go in, then go. worst thing to happen is they send you home. good luck.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:23 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• i started contracting at 8 in the morning got my ep at 11 and my water broke at 1 didnt start pushing until 5 and he popped out at 6 10 pm
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 2:49 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• My water never broke on its own with any of my 3 pregnancies...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:07 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I had two bags of water and the first one broke before anything else happened, so I did go into the hospital shortly after. I called and then took a shower and then we went. Don't ask me why I showered, but I did. I just ended up getting all sweaty and gross anyway. We didn't know until a couple hours later that I had the second bag of water, which the midwife then broke.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:20 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• You can't wait for your water to break, because it might not ever happen. Many women go into labor without their water breaking.

My dr says the easiest rule to follow is when you have 10 contractions in 1 hour go to labor and delivery.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:55 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• sometimes the water breaks before labor, sometimes it doesn't break until after the baby is born. personally i would want to wait as long as possible to go to the hospital, but that's because i'm not interested in an epidural. i think the advice of contrax 4 minutes apart is good if you want to have an epidural, or you could just wait until the contrax are getting pretty intense to where you feel like you want pain relief. if your water breaks, i would wait to go in until contrax where intense, too. it's all up to each woman and how they want their birth to go :) good luck!
    Anonymous

• with my first they broke my water at the hospital myu secomd my water broke at 5am and at 11 am they had to give me pitocin cuz i was not having any contractions.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:01 PM on Oct. 23, 2009