How do I get my 17 month old daughter to take a nap??

She used to take great naps right on schedule and go to bed the same time every night. Now it is really difficult to get her to sleep. She is waking up at like 8 a.m. and I want her to take her nap at like noonish and then I am trying to keep her bedtime at like 8 p.m. She has been making it very difficult to get her to sleep at 8 and get her to take her nap at noonish. It is 2 right now and I cannot get her to take a nap, which is why I am asking for advice right now. When she doesn't get a nap she gets realllly fussy later in the day and sometimes will want to go to bed at like 5:30ish, which results in a really earrly morning. Any tips?? Thank you.

brookes_mom04

Asked by brookes_mom04 at 2:48 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 8pm is a great bedtime for a LO her age. It's super that she sleeps till 8am. I think you should try letting her nap at 1pm. Give breakfast in the morning, a snack at 10am, lunch at noon, and a nap at 1pm. I bet she'll get right on track for you.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:45 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• My 18 mo. old takes her nap at 11:00 am and has approximately the same wakeup and bedtimes as yours. She dropped her second nap at around 16 mo. and I tried and tried to get her to move her morning nap back to after lunch but she just won't do it. She gets an energy burst right after lunch and won't sleep...so I have to put her down before her lunch. She gets breakfast in the morning and then a glass of warm milk and a snack around 10 or 10:30 then naps from 11 - 1 or 2. It makes for a late lunch but we don't do an afternoon snack and she eats dinner just fine around 5:30...then its warm milk and a snack again right before bed. Maybe try our routine and see if it helps?
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:57 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• ThrivingMom, I do all of that you said and lately she just will not go to sleep when I try to put her down after lunch. It happened all of a sudden...where she doesn't want to sleep. I rock her to sleep in the recliner and lately she just screams and throws her head back when I try to rock her and makes it seem like I am beating her to death..then she squirms off of me and runs off. When she throws a fight when I rock her at bedtime, I can lay her down in her bed and she will go to sleep because it is dark, but in the afternoon it is bright in her room and she just jumps up and gets out of bed to play.
    brookes_mom04

Answer by brookes_mom04 at 5:33 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Do you think her acting like this could also be because I have changed her crib into a transitional 'toddler" bed and she is not ready for that yet. I did it about a month ago and she gets in and out fine..but maybe she doesn't want to go to sleep because she knows she can just slide right down and play..I just started thinking about this...what do you guys think?? Should I change it back to a crib??

Thank you!
    brookes_mom04

Answer by brookes_mom04 at 5:39 PM on Oct. 23, 2009