Do you sell on Craigslist? Do you find this is often the case...?

Anytime I post some things for sale on Craigslist I always end up getting these freaking people...they email me for days, vow their interest, set up times to come and get the stuff and then just completely blow me off. No shows. Its one thing if you want info and it goes back and forth, but the complete blow off baffles me. This morning a woman said she'd be here about 12:30. Its 2:45. Another guy was supposed to come last night...no show. Meanwhile, we could have gone to the gym instead last night...today I'm sitting around waiting for this woman...WHY?? Its so effing rude. I don't care if you change your mind, but don't make me sit around and wait for you to NOT come...ACK. I supposedly have someone else coming later today at about 5...I'm not holding my breath.

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 2:51 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• it happens to me ALL the time...only like 1/4 of the people who contact me actually follow through, I've had a bunch of car steroe stuff on there for like 4 months, MILLIONS of people have called and said that they would be here at a specific time and it never happened....someone finnally followed through and showed up last night took some of it off my hands...I can't stop though because we need the money and we keep trying....ADVICE: don't plan around these people, make them plan around you, tell them to call before they want to show up and you will let them know if it is a good time or not, even then don't hold your breath
    Hulkgrrl

Answer by Hulkgrrl at 2:57 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Yep that's Craigslist for you.

You need to insist on talking to them on the phone.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:54 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Sorry to hear that. We sell stuff on craigslist all the time. People have never blown us off, but they have come to look at the stuff and then decided not to buy it. Good luck!
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 2:54 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• CONT...staciandababy is right, if you hide your e-mail and only put your number for them to contact you it cuts back on a lot of crazies
    Hulkgrrl

Answer by Hulkgrrl at 2:58 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Yep, that's what happens. It sucks.
    Usually, I ask them to meet me somewhere where I'm going to be out heading. I don't like giving out my address, phone number is a little different, especially in a meet-up. That way, I'm not wasting my time just sitting there for someone to come, I'm doing my thing, and they can catch me while I'm out running errands and stuff.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 3:01 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• LOL, 12:30 lady just showed up and bought the item... I should complain more often, maybe more will actually show =)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:03 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• It's not ALWAYS like that.
    My husband has gone to pick items up from people, at a set time, and got there to find they gave it to someone else 5 minutes before he arrived.....very annoying.
    We've sold 2 items on Craigs List and had no problems with people picking the items up on time.
    Anonymous

• Craigslist is full of flakes who won't show....but there's also some really nice people on there too. I have sold a ton of stuff on there, everything from baby items to furniture to business supplies and appliances. Eventually, someone will buy the stuff, and hey--it's free to list it, so it's hard to complain. I admit I learned the hard way about "holding" stuff for people. I did that a few times and they didn't show. After that, I had to take the hardline, first-come-first-serve approach. You show up first with cash in hand, you can have it. I agree with a pp's suggestion about nixing the e-mail response option, as it will cut down on some of the flakier folks.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 3:28 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• We did ONCE and was plagued with idiots who sent us $3,000 checks for our $300 items, told us to deposit the check, ship our items to them with the money they sent, and to keep the rest for our time and trouble.
    We are NOT stupid. We called the banks first to report the fraudulent checks and then took our items off CraigsList because we didn't get any serious offers. We could not report the frauds for mailing the bad checks because it was not sent through the US Post Office - it was sent FedEx, which is not subject to federal fines.
    We ended up giving the items away to charity - it was a washer & dryer that came with our house and worked perfectly well because I used them for 5 loads each. We had our own brand new ones and didn't want to keep those.
    People not showing up is uncalled for! Why are people so rude!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 2:11 PM on Oct. 24, 2009