H1N1 help with 25m.o., yes another shot question

My DD is 25m.o. She got a flu shot on her 24m.o. checkup and now her Dr office notified us that they just received the H1N1 vaccines. I scheduled an appt for Monday for both my hubby & her. They say they recommend it for kids & hubby works at Albertson's so I'm pretty sure it would be a good idea for him to get it.

I don't know, I guess I would like some opinions as to whether DD should get the vaccine. She is not exposed to a daycare environment. My aunt watches hers 3x a week for 7-8hrs a day. My grandma and my other niece is there with her and then she gets picked up by hubby. I guess the only exposure to germs that she may get is if my niece happens to get it or if she gets it while we go out the mall/market etc.

It's not too late to cancel. Should she get the vaccine. I'm like on a 50/50 boat

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This is a personal decision that only you and your husband can make. I am not chancing the H1N1 vaccine yet. It was very rushed. My son has an egg allergy that is severe. He can get the flu shot, but the verdict is still out on H1N1. Yes, they have tested the vaccine for immediate reactions...but I would want to know how it can effect me or my child one year, two years, and beyond the initial shot in the arm.

BUT that is just my 2 cents....I know of one other mommy who just got her sons their shot today and I dont think anything more or less of her for getting it.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 3:55 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• For what it's worth - me and my daughter (26 months) got it, and we're just fine.

The ingredients are the same as the seasonal flue shot (only it has dead h1n1 virus instead of dead seasonal flue virus), so if she's fine with seasonal flue shots, she's likely to be fine with this.

...PP I think your fine being wary since your son has an egg allergy, as that's part of the ingredients in the shot....in your shoes, I would be waiting too.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:19 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• We are getting it, but I agree that it's a personal choice. As mentioned above, it's like getting another flu shot with a different strain of flu virus. My daughter has to get four total - two of the regular and two of the H1N1. I know how you feel - more shots...
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 12:15 AM on Oct. 24, 2009