Is 4 years old too young for a boy to find out about menstruation?

I think it is. A friend whose son I watch texted me "just so you know DS saw my period when we were in the bathroom together. He asked what it was and I told him girls vaginas bleed sometimes but, it doesn't hurt" I'm assuming she told me so if he starts talking about bleeding vaginas I will know why.
I have a son his age & he is always coming in the bathroom when I'm in there (the door doesn't lock). He is usually playing with a toy or with the water in the sink & I try to be discreet. He has seen my boxes of tampons & pads in the bathroom & knows they are for girls but, that's it. It is more difficult when we are out to be discrete in a public restroom, but, I do what I can.
But, in the midst of all this I've managed to not let him see actual blood from my period or me changing pads etc.
Does anyone else think that was wierd? I think you should be honest when kids ask question but, he's only a 4 y/o. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think answering questions honestly is the best way to build a healthy attitude about our bodies. And answering questions in an age appropriate manner is important. If it were me in that situation, I wouldn't still have my 4 year old son in the bathroom while I was on my period - not because I think it's "wrong" necessarily but because I'm more on the modest side and also want to instill a sense of privacy.
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 5:06 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I think it is too young. I think even saying its my period is enough info...elaborating with girls vaginas bleed is TMI!!! my dd is 7 and when she was 5 or so she asked what tampons were and I told her they are for my period. It was enough info...and still has been enough for her.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:23 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I think that honesty knows no age, and that so long as it is age appropriate (it sounds like it was for the most part) then go ahead and tell when they ask.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:23 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I think that is really weird. That is way too young to know that. He certainly didn't need to see it. Eww.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:24 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Let me rephrase that...I agree that the bleeding vagina was a little too far. But the period was not (IMO)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:24 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• ~OP~

She said he saw my period but, didn't use that word with him, if I understood the text. Like I said you should be honest, I just think that is a little young to be saying bleeding vaginas. She also generally shows a lack of good judgment.
    Anonymous

• I don't think it was weird. Weird would be if she called the kid in to see. She probably wasn't expecting him to walk in, we've all had times when our little ones come in at a bad time, and handled it the best way she could.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 3:29 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Not it's not too young. My dd is 4 as well adn she knows about it. My brother knew about it before the age of 4. Things like that were never hidden from us. What was your friend supposed to do? Lie to her son?
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 3:31 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• When my oldest DD was that age. Called my pads big band aids. I did not explane what it was cause I though she was to young for it.

Answer by louise2 at 3:38 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• My DD is 4 but she is a girl so one day she walked in on me changeing a pad and she asked if I was hurt and I told no baby when you get older like mommy its just something your body goes through it doesnt hurt at all you just have to put this pad on like a diaper in your panties and your all done. I told her bc I grew up with my grandmother and she never talked to me about it and I had no idea and when I started it was like a sence from carrie, I called home crying and not knowing what to do. I was12 and my friends hadnt started yet, so we never talked about it.
    Anonymous