A clingy baby-8months

Pretty sure my son is reaching the peak of a seperation anxiety stage. I am a single mom, and it seems that although he can certainly entertain himself while I am around, it's whenever I am busy and have to get something done and set him down that he has a complete breakdown. The other night I was eating dinner and had him in his walker beside me, all he did was whine, so rather then give in and pick him up to skip a meal, I brought him upstairs and put him in his pack-n-play. Would have thought it was the end of the world for him. As he cried, no rather screamed. I kissed him and said I'd be back as soon as I ate. And that's just what I did. But everytime I do this it takes so long to calm him down afterwards, it's like the kid has PTSD from being left alone for all of max 15 min. Any suggestions?? on how to make this process easier.

luvububee

Asked by luvububee at 3:29 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Time momma. Just time. Kaylee did this for probably about 2 months to that extreme, and then it started getting easier.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:30 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• The peak will actually be more around 16-18 mo. or so. As for helping alleviate the issue now - is your son crawling yet or close to? If so, I'd say let him out of the walker and out of the pack n play. Let him be free. You might be surprised at how giving him a little freedom can lead to more independent play. Leave favorite toys within his ability to get out...block off the area you're working in (i.e. the kitchen and the livingroom) so you can keep an eye on him. If you're not opposed to a movie..put on a Baby Einstein DVD or Sesame street DVD for a short time while you get dinner made. Also, if he seems overly cranky...it could be sleep related? Is he getting good sleep? At that age, my daughter slept about 12-15 hours a day...11 hours at night and 2 naps, each 1.5 to 2 hours long. I've always found that strong negative reactions from her can often be traced back to not enough sleep.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:36 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• My son is 11 months and we went through that right before he started to crawl. Once he could get around, he was fine. Also as far as eating supper - I found that it works best for us to put him in his highchair and feed him while we're eating so he doesn't feel left out. Even if it's a night where he doesn't eat what we're having yet (pizza) I will put him in his highchair with some cheerios, or cheese cubes and include him in our conversation.

Answer by missanc at 3:45 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Mine is kind of ilke this at 7.5 mos. I just take her everywhere with me, even to the bathroom! I put her on the ground to crawl around but sometimes she just crawls up to my legs and yells for me to pick her up.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 4:03 PM on Oct. 23, 2009