Why is it we as a country have gone from raising our flag high to almost shunning a soldier in uniform when he comes home? Have we really become that forgetful?

I watched my 9yr old daughter bring a smile to an airman's face yesterday and it made me sad. Not sad because of what she did, but sad that he honestly didn't seem himself as anything special until a small child looked to him with respect. I love my country and even though things are rough and politics are vicious, I still will never think of the men and women that serve our country as anything less than real life heros.

Mayoscupcake

Asked by Mayoscupcake at 4:14 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Its the humbleness in our heroes that make them so admirable, not that they realize they're special. They are. But they don't have to walk around with that thought in their minds.
    Anonymous

• I don't see it that way. I think our soldiers of today are held in a much higher esteem than those of Vietnam. Those soldiers were spit upon. It was after the Vietnam war that we learned to separate our feelings between the war and the soldiers. We learned that we could disagree with being at war but should never shun our soldiers, as they are only acting as ordered.
    Phase3

Answer by Phase3 at 4:50 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I don't see it that way either and I have certainly never witnessed any such attitude.

Support the soldiers. Bring them home.
    Anonymous

• My husband has been spit on and called rude name in Northern California while on TDY. All because he wore his bdu's into grocery store. Some college kids. unaware liberal youth. I think it depends on the area.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:00 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I wasn't alive during Vietnam but I've read and have seen videos of how badly the soldiers were treated. Spit on, called baby killers, etc. Its been going on for awhile. Some people dont agree with war so they take their anger out on the ones who are being sent to war. Completely and totally unfair and not right, but it has been going on for a long time. Its sad that people don't recognize that if it weren't for our soldiers we wouldn't even have the right to disagree with war.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 6:07 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• clappingright on, amyrw

chickenhobbit

Answer by chickenhobbit at 6:13 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• The whole country hasn't done that. Just the far left ones that don't deal with reality.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:57 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Thats sweet and yeah there are some real arseholes out there that do not have a bit of respect in them mama never taught them
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:03 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I've not come across those people personally but have heard of them doing this stuff. I figure I raise my kids to respect and that's all I can do -Continue to do as I feel is right.
    momof4kids257

Answer by momof4kids257 at 7:11 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• My brother came back from Iraq in a box.  If I ever see a soldier disrespected in front of me, I may come unglued.  I have seen soldiers get high fives, pats on the back and their monies be no good in airport bars.  Please do not let me see anything different.

limitedtime

Answer by limitedtime at 7:36 PM on Oct. 23, 2009