My son is 5 1/2, I have a 4mo. old daughter. Since she's been born he's started peeing his pants. Not at school, only at home, daily. HOw long does this type of regression usually last?

He also sits in the swing, her bouncy chair. He shows love to her, but definately is showing regression ( I guess!) Do we discipline him, or ignore it? Assuming the behavior will resolve on its own?

franknlivsmom

Asked by franknlivsmom at 4:30 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Can you make him his own big boy chair? or a time just for him. He is jealous and it's normal. Just try to give him more of things he can call his own. It's the baby's swing and the baby's stuff. What stuff is his? Just a suggestion. I have a jealous 3 year old at home.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 4:33 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I have a 7 year old and a 3 month old. She is jealous too. But she shows it in other ways such as whining, back talking, just generally being a smartass and she was NEVER like this before. We just discipline her like we would any other time and make no difference between her and baby. She loves her sister though, shes just adjusting to the fact that the world really doesnt revolve around her.
    Jessaroo1987

Answer by Jessaroo1987 at 4:55 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Definately need to nip the peeing pants in the butt now. Let him know it's not acceptable behavior. Then take the time to make a special time for you and him. bad behavior cancels that time.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 6:28 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• My girl was 5 years 2 months when my son was born. She tried to sit on his chair and swing like once. I made sure to emphasize how awesome it was that she was a big girl who did big girl things. I pointed out that she got to do certain things because she is so much older. She really responded well to that. It went on for months and months until she no longer felt threatened by the baby. Even now, they are 9 and 4 and I still talk to her about being the big sister, and what a great place she is in being the older one. She did get in trouble if she hurt her brother, but she loved the praise for being big that she seldom got in trouble.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:08 PM on Oct. 26, 2009