My doctor said it's up to me whether or not I want to get a vaginal exam to check for dilation ?

What do you think? He says if i'm curious at my weekly checkups he can do a vaginal exam, otherwise I don't have to.

I'm 38 weeks, Should I let him check? I know it's uncomfortable and may cause spotting.

I think i'd like to know though.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 4:33 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I never had any issue with getting check. I never had spotting or any kind of pain. At 38 weeks, I would definitely check to see if you are starting to thin out because that can give you a better idea of when you will go into labor.
    Chickpeas

Answer by Chickpeas at 4:35 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I would let him. That could make you go into labor :)
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 4:34 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• If everything else is normal---then i would skip the check---
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 4:35 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I had vaginal exams starting at 37 weeks. I went into labor 2 hours before my 40 wk checkup. Go for it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:35 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• It's not necessary. I'd skip it.
    Anonymous

• They are not necessary. You could be 3 cm then not go into labor for another 3 weeks. Or you could not be dilated at all and go into labor the next day. They mean nothing. Plus it increases your risks of infection. I will not have a vaginal exam. I will not even get checked in labor...No point to increase the risk of infection. It is up to you. Good luck!!!
    ameliasmama1

Answer by ameliasmama1 at 4:50 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• id let him do it. its fun to find out how much you are dilated. plus the more they check, the more you will dilate. and the more you dilate, the closer you are to getting that kid out!!
    Jessaroo1987

Answer by Jessaroo1987 at 4:51 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Heh, thanks. You have all expressed both of my sides of thought- fun to see, but increased risk of infection.

I sure do like fun though.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:54 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• he's right, it's totally up to you. knowing how many cm you are dilated or what % effaced doesn't really give a clue of whether you will have your baby tomorrow or in a month, so that's why a lot of women decide not to do it. but a lot are curious. :)
    Anonymous

• Answered at 4:51 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 by:
    * Jessaroo1987

plus the more they check, the more you will dilate.

I really don't think that's true. where did you read/hear that?
    Anonymous