Can you fight the dad if he wants to give up rights?

If a man wants to give up his rights to the child can you fight him or can he just decide to give them up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:35 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• im sure you could...
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 4:35 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I think that you can fight him on it, but if he doesn't want to be involved then I wouldn't. I would only hurt your child in the long run to know that their dad is involved only because he has to be or you can make him support the child that he brought into this world. It really can go either way.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:36 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• He cannot give up his rights just because he wants to avoid his responsibility. That's laughable. Take his ass to court for child support.
    Anonymous

• I think it depends on what his reasons are for giving up his rights. I dont think they let people give up there rights just because they dont want the responsibility. There has to be a really good reason. I would take him to court for child support and tell him to stay out of you and your babies life for good.
    Jessaroo1987

Answer by Jessaroo1987 at 4:49 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• The only time I've ever heard of a man giving up rights is 1. The mom/state asks him to. 2. The mom is ok with it. So I don't think that he can just give them up "just because"
    Anonymous

• See this is the double standard for parenthood, if a woman doesn't want to be a parent she can get an abortion or give the baby up for adoption without the fathers consent simply by not telling him she is pregnant then telling the adoption agency she doesn't know who the father is! For a man it's "keep it in your pants or be forced into parenthood or at least pay CS!" I never thought this way until my son became a teenager, but it's true. If he doesn't want to be involved why would you make him?
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 4:58 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I think they can legally give up their parental rights, but I don't think they can give up child support rights. Unless perhaps the father were to sign rights over to another man (like a new husband or something). Not sure how it works at that point - but I know a guy can't just sign a paper or pay a fee to get out of child support.
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 5:03 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Typically courts won't let a dad give up rights unless there is someone else there to step in (someone willing to adopt the child and take over responsibilities). The father can decide not to be involved with the child but he still has to pay child support or whatever is decided by court.

Also, here in Georgia it is required by law to have a father listed on the birth certificate. You cannot have a child in GA and not name a father.
    Andrewsmom70

Answer by Andrewsmom70 at 6:23 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• why would you want to ? Seems to me a POS who wants to give up his kid isn't somebody you would want in thier life
    CSRodriguez

Answer by CSRodriguez at 7:33 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Unless he will let a new father adopt your child, he will always have to pay child support. I think if he doesn't want to be a part of your child's life, let him go. In my personal experience, no influence is better than a bad influence. When my dad walked out, my mom let him go. She knew he would not be good enough father and sure enough when he came back in my life at 10 I wish I never met him. I knew he loved his other children more than me and that is something a kid should not have to see from their "parent". I have no hard feelings toward my mom for not making my dad be involved with me. Your child will eventually see that everything he has done for him/her has been because you made him and I think that will hurt worse than not having him in at all.
    Anonymous