Solid foods

I was wondering when I can start trying to give my baby some solids. She is 3 months old but she eats like such a little pig, its hard to keep her satisfied for very long. I was trying cereal mixed in formula and that was OK but then they switched her formula to to the AR (added rice) because she was spitting up all the time with the lipil, so I stopped putting cereal in it since its already in there...So would it be okay to mix cereal with the AR formula in her before bed bottle???she eats 6 ounces every 2 hours!! She is sleeping through the night pretty good though.

Jessaroo1987

Asked by Jessaroo1987 at 4:35 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no cereal in the bottle. It already has the correct amount in it. I would mix some cereal and give that to her and then give her the bottle before bed. If you are ready you can start trying some veggies and see if she likes those. Remember that she won't eat much at a time so it will be slow going. At first mine would eat about 1/3 of a 2oz jar 3 times a day. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:43 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• So if I do give her the cereal it should just be spoon fed, not mixed with the AR? And about the veggies thats OK at only 3 months old?
    Jessaroo1987

Answer by Jessaroo1987 at 4:46 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I know there are moms that have given solids to their 3 month old, but pediatricians recommend you wait until 4 months. Sleeping through the night and feeding solids have nothing to do with one another.

Answer by missanc at 4:52 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I know they dont have anything to do with one another, thats not why I wanna do it. She sleeps through the night anyway. But during the day when shes up she eats so much I just want to try something to keep her fuller longer.
    Jessaroo1987

Answer by Jessaroo1987 at 4:59 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• She should be eating 2 to 2.5 ounces of milk per every pound of body weight per 24 hours1 Sometimes it seems like alot more than it really is. Waiting till 4 months is the best bet as well as when you do start do so with rice cereal. You are the mommy and do know whats best though. Most 3 month olds still have the tongue thrust reflex and cant properly eat anyways.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 5:37 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• No solids until 4 months. Cereal is solids. It's better to wait until 6 months. First you don't breastfeed, then you put cereal in the bottle, then you feed cereal at 3 months because she eats like a pig. She is going to look like a pig. Maybe her whole life. You are supposed to breastfeed 2 years and start solids at 6 months.
    Anonymous