How hard is it to breastfeed for the first time?

I am very scared to breastfeed. I just wanted so tips to how I can make it easier and less painful.

NewMama2424

Asked by NewMama2424 at 1:44 PM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Pregnancy

• From someone who has breastfed 3 kids successfully, my advice would be to find a good lactation consultant to help you with questions and surround yourself with people who will help you, respect your decision, and are a good source of strength. Sometimes it's hard, sometimes easy, but if people around you are saying, "just give up if it's hard", that isn't helping you. Find someone who will listen, support, and encourage you. That's my advice anyway. I hope it helps.
    shevigirl

Answer by shevigirl at 1:50 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• The best thing that happened to me was the lactation consultant at the hospital. I still contact her via email when i am having trouble or need some support. My mother was a light when i decided to breastfeed, not becuase she knew how to do it, but becuase she supported me. Find some support within your friends and family. Here where i am from they have la leche league, which I have found some great women there to support me as well. Hope this helped! and GOOD LUCK! You can do it.
    But let me say this, It wasn't easy! but it is worth it, i have been breastfeeding my daughter since birth (3months) which i realize doesn't make me an expert, but we both enjoy it sooo much and even though we went through a tough patch, we got through it, with support, and it is a piece of cake now!
    AlisMomma322

Answer by AlisMomma322 at 1:59 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• it just takes lots of practice and lots of support. the lactation consultant at the hospital was great, and then when i got home, i had a local lactation consultant meet with me in my house. it's not the most comfortable thing at first, but you'll get used to it :)
    retz

Answer by retz at 2:37 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I did not find it in the slightest bit painful and I had no problems. If you do, consult a lactation consultant at the hospital.
    nell_brinkley

Answer by nell_brinkley at 2:50 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I tried nursing all my kids, but my kids all had medical issues that made it difficult to nurse them, but I did pump for them. Get some support and believe in yourself that you can do it, sometimes it is hard and it can hurt, but it is worth it :) Lactation consultants work as well.
    L.R.I.Ma

Answer by L.R.I.Ma at 3:26 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Hi there, I breast fed three kids (twins the second time). The first month of breast feed does hurt. BUT after that it is all good. For me it happened really easily...but that doesn't happen for everyone. My advise is that you hang in there because after the first month it is so wonderful. Use a nipple butter (whole foods may have one by Earth Mama Angel baby.

Good Luck,

Lisa
    www.bumpfashion.com
    bumpfashion

Answer by bumpfashion at 3:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I agree, the lacation consultant. Honestly, it's never hurt me. But she did show me how, and when I left the hospital my BIL's g/f helped me and my mother. It is the best experience ever. 7 months and going strong
    onespoiledwife

Answer by onespoiledwife at 3:43 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Going Over Breastfeeding Guidelines - For Dummies
    This first breast-feeding time may take up to an hour, but it's the first step in a healthy baby/mom relationship. Don't get nervous or upset if your baby ...
    www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/Going-Over-Breastfeeding-Guidelines.id-1375.html
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:55 PM on Jun. 24, 2008