at what age???

At what age do you stop watching do you put a stop to your kid wanting you to keep watching them brush their teeth, take a shower, etc? I think 10 is to old as my other kids stopped way before that. This one is real needy and I need help getting her to be 10 and she does not listen to privacy about closing doors when taking showers or changing clothes. My 16 year old son has her over and over to respect him and close doors because he does not want to see her. Dad has no problem with it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:26 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Yes I agree that this is a bit old for what you are describing but they all have their own timing as we moms know. I think the real issue is the affect it is having on your older son. I would sit the child down and explain personal boundaries and about how even if it does not make her uncomfortable that it is necessary out of respect for her brother. Then you could compromise on all the other stuff. Like if she compromises and keeps the door closed, you'll compromise and still brush her hair or whatever. If she thinks its a battle, then it will be and we have to choose those carefully! Good luck. It sounds like she is just the baby and hopefully you all can work out a way that works for everyone for her to stay that way w/out compromsing anyone else : )
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 5:31 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• My boys are 8 and 6 and they would freak if I came in while they where in the shower. Now brushing their teeth is a different story. If I don't watch them then they wont do it right.
    JEAmom3

Answer by JEAmom3 at 5:35 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• She needs to be taught boundaries and privacy. It is NOT ok for her to invade your 16 yrs olds or anyone elses privacy. She is way to old for someone to be watching her shower and brush her teeth. Tell her that she needs to do these things by herself. Set up a chart and give her a sticker for every time she does these things herself. Take something away when she invades someones privacy. Do something special with her, get her a new book when she achieves so many days of independence.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:09 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Just a thought, but maybe you could get dad involved it might not bother him now but it soon will! Sometimes if dad says it they take it a little more to heart. I know i can talk to mine till i'm blue in the face and he won't listen but his dad can tell him he's to old for certain things and he'll listen.
    toyh

Answer by toyh at 6:35 AM on Oct. 29, 2009