Is this a normal reaction?

This morning I got my son out of bed and put him on my bed to change his clothes. I forgot his diaper and the poopy one was already off. I was thinking "hmmm he still hasn't taken his morning pee, I better run fast" so I went to his room and got the diaper. When I got back I noticed that he did pee and I said "uh oh did you pee on mama's bed?" He just broke down and started crying. I think he thought he was going to be in trouble because usually when he pees w/o a diaper I catch him an say "EH EH STOP" and he holds it until I get the diaper on. I'm not mean about it I don't know why he would be scared that he peed on the bed.
He is 14 months, is that a normal reaction? If he wasn't scared then why else would he be crying? (he isn't on the potty yet)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:45 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Kids that age are still figuring out their emotions and are not quite sure how to express them. That's why toddlers scream when they're angry or frustrated and throw tantrums.

He probably knew he did something wrong but didn't know how to express his feelings in any way other than to cry.
    I think it's normal. :)

My son is almost three and he still breaks down and cries for seemingly no reason. It's a normal thing kids do.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 5:54 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

•  Sounds like he was just upset about it.Very normal.He's still young and figuring everything out.

Another thing is that if he can hold his pee for a diaper to pee in.Try putting him on thetoilet to go pee.Have him point his "binker" down to go pee.He might be ready to go pee in there.I was potty trained at at his age.

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 6:18 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• It is totally normal. I would say that he was upset with the tone of your voice. I have had this happen to me. I will just be talking to my son and he will start to cry and I think that he thinks that he is in trouble when I talk in a different tone.
    YoungL

Answer by YoungL at 9:01 PM on Oct. 23, 2009