How much should I charge for a wedding cake?

I was asked if I could make a wedding cake.
3 tier
buttercream frosting
and dots

AvonByGeena

Asked by AvonByGeena at 5:46 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Food & Drink

• 50
    Anonymous

• I think most people pay 200 to 500 for the cake, I think mine was a 3 tier and we paid like 300. I'd check out some of the local bakeries to see what they charge, and how you cake compares in quality (presentation and taste, you could even pretend you're getting married and set up a cake tasting)
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 5:51 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I was thinking $50, too, but I think it depends on the situation and how good you are. If it is for a family member or close friend, I would give them a good deal, or give it to them as their wedding gift. If it is a random person and you are sincerely good at it, why not ask for $75 and see what they say? Not that you're doing something wrong, I'm just saying, that is a lot less than someone would pay at a baker or professional.
    Anonymous

• Just checked with my mom, my cake was $300 and considered a really good deal.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 5:55 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I got my cake at wal-mart lol an that cost me 70 bucks. I say for sure you could charge that much. ..but agree with others about checking prices around town to compare yourself to bakeries. If you stack up why not charge a little less then they are charging so your competitive if you getting future referrals.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:55 PM on Oct. 23, 2009