Is this a normal reaction? (also asked in "toddlers")

This morning I got my son out of bed and put him on my bed to change his clothes. I forgot his diaper and the poopy one was already off. I was thinking "hmmm he still hasn't taken his morning pee, I better run fast" so I went to his room and got the diaper. When I got back I noticed that he did pee and I said "uh oh did you pee on mama's bed?" He just broke down and started crying. I think he thought he was going to be in trouble because usually when he pees w/o a diaper I catch him an say "EH EH STOP" and he holds it until I get the diaper on. I'm not mean about it I don't know why he would be scared that he peed on the bed.
He is 14 months, is that a normal reaction? If he wasn't scared then why else would he be crying? (he isn't on the potty yet)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:49 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• he holds it until he gets a diaper on??? why not just bring him to the potty and start kinda training him now? i mean you don't have to push it, but if you see him peeing and tell him to stop and he holds it then wouldn't it be great to put him on the potty and start teaching him?

maybe he's crying not because he thinks he'll get into trouble but maybe he's already learned by you he's supposed to go in his diaper not anywhere else and is dissapointed in himself? yes, even a 14month old can be that smart
    Anonymous

• I was thinking the same thing as PP, he knows that he shouldn't go on the bed.

Anonymous

• agree with the first post, if he can already hold his pee in time enough for you to get his diaper on him then he can hold it long enough to go to his potty. my daughter is2 and is completly potty trained. i just took the diapers away and she got that the potty was the place for going "potty" good luck!
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 6:04 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• He is too litle for the potty and needs about another 10 pounds to fit in the smallest pull-ups. Too short, he can't get on by himself (even the training potty) I was going to wait for a growth spurt, when he can do it alone. He doesn't really talk so I wouldn't know when he has to go, he would pee his pants and, judging by the bed incident, probably cry

OP
    Anonymous

• does he go to a daycare maybe they punish him for that?
    sunflower39346

Answer by sunflower39346 at 10:29 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

------
    no, he stays with me. He has never been punished for something like that, the only punishment he has ever had was a slap on the hand for digging in the trash after he was told no 3 times.

OP
    Anonymous