Midwife sued for stillborn baby?

Did anyone read that the midwife featured in the documentary "The Business of Being Born" was sued because the parents baby was stillborn? Apparently, the woman was in labor for 3 days and lived 2 blocks from a hospital but never went! That is terrible!

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/10/22/2009-10-22_star_midwife_sued_for_stillbirth.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:52 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Random thought here, I used a midwife whom I LOVED, and I still had my baby in the hospital. I don't think that it is the midwife thing that is an issue, it is the home birth thing. NOT THAT I AM AGAINST HOME BIRTH, TO EACH HER OWN, I JUST WOULD NEVER DO IT.
    Anonymous

• well then it's her fault she didn't go to a hospital. it's not like the midwife had a gun to her head and told her she couldn't do it.

our hospitals only has a few doctors, the majority of who they assign you is midwives. i was upset about it, but thankfully at the time my dd decided to come, the person on call was an actual doctor (didn't like her at all, but rather a doctor than a midwife IMO)
    Anonymous

• Im sorry but thats crap.
    They had the option to leave and go to the hospital at any time.
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 6:01 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• So I did some homework on this..the couple knew that this woman was not a "legal" midwife when they hired her. Then they don't have enough common sense to go to a hospital bcause they are in love with the idea of a home birth...Wow! I I have a feeling this is going to turn into a midwife bashing session and give midwives a bad name. Just so we understand most midwives are legal backed up by a physician, this one was not. There are irresponsible people in all professions. I feel sorry for baby, she's not here because everyone else was selfish!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 6:14 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• From a lot of what I've seen and heard A LOT of women who use Midwives are TOTALLY against hospitals and docs...b/c God forbid they need a c-section or an epidural. NOT ALL OF THEM BUT SOME> Maybe she was one of them...I would never use one. Too risky But to each their own. Sad case.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:03 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• See you are categorizing and stereotyping midwives now. "I would never use one" More midwives deliver at the hospital out here than they do at home! I don't know where you get your info from but there are several midwives who are 100 percent for medical intervention and even for epidurals for long labor and rest. Be careful what you say.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Oct. 24, 2009