How many c-sections have you had?

Most OBs will sa y that 3 is a safe limit. Have any of you ladies had more than 3? Would you please share a little bit about your experiences?

Currently pregnant with baby #2 after one very unwanted cesarean. Doctor isn't "pushing" for a repeat but isn't all for vbac, though I am allowed a trial of labor. I am a military spouse and don't have the option of "finding a provider who is on board with my decision".

My husband and I want many more children. I just want to make the best decision for myself, my baby and subsequent babies.

Thank you for reading/sharing.

CafeMomBinky

Asked by CafeMomBinky at 6:39 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have had two c-sections. My doctor said that the limit is a personal thing. He had given one woman 6 c-sections. It also depends on the time you have had in between c-sections. I had 5 years in between mine.
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 6:59 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I've had one, and on December 30th I'll be having another. I know one woman due the same month as me has had 6 c-sections!!!!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:34 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Like you, my only section was extremely unwanted (and might I add unnecessary). If you really want a vbac, see what you can do about getting a midwife to assist you at home. Screw the insurance and pay out of pocket if a vbac really is important to you. A vbac is extremely unlikely to happen in a hospital. See the term "trial of labor"? They say they will let you try just to humor you, when all the while they're just sitting there sharpening their knife. If your doctor isn't all for a vbac, I'd run. I'd run as fast as I could.

I'm not currently pregnant, but I am in the process of addressing my fears about homebirth (perhaps even unassisted homebirth) because I KNOW my chances of getting a vbac in a hospital are slim. If you are considered low risk but have fears about a homebirth, PM me. I do, too. Maybe we can work through our concerns together. ?? I'd love for someone to walk the path with me.
    yakamoz

Answer by yakamoz at 7:45 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Ive had 3 but I wont be having more because 3 was where we felt our family was finished at.
    My sister is about to have her 4th in a few months(her last pregnancy was twin girls). My mom had 4 as well.

My c/sections were nice. No issues, no complications, healed well and quickly. I listened to the drs advice before I left the hospital and I got up and moved as soon as I could after the sections and I think that really helped me out.

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:47 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• i had 3. with me the only thing was i had more scar tissue with #3 and some adhesions so that made the surgery itself a little slower
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:53 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• You can switch your military insurance and do a HB. HBs are SAFE options and each c-section can cause more problems.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 8:11 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I have only had one, & am hoping to keep it that way even though chances are very slim due to my own personal issues. It is different for each woman considering her risks. For me it would not be just the decision that I don't want one, but the fact that I am considered higher risk of complications due to my uterus being heart-shaped & the fact that I had failure to progress with my first pregnancy (hence the first c-section). My husband's aunt also had failure to progress & ended up having to have all c-sections (she attempted VBAC with her second but was unable to labor fully again) so she has had 4 with no surgical complications. I would say it depends completely on your own body & the risks you may have. I don't know the reason for your first c-section so I couldn't say whether or not VBAC is a good choic or not, but if your doctor says you can try I'd say you should, but know that it may not go as planned so be prepared.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 8:11 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• WannabeMommy, have you done any research on your own?
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 8:15 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I'm oregnant with baby #4 and have had 3 c-sections already. With my first child I was told I probably would never deliver naturally, but was given the chance to try. It didn't go well. I had an emergency c-section after laboring for 56 hours and my water being broke for 23 hours. I was told I would never be able to give natural birth once the doctor was inspecting my insides. She said it just will never happen. I have a tilted everything and my pelvis does not relax or spread and is very narrow to begin with. So, I'm onto my 4th c-section. I haven't had any major issue's with any of them so far. I follow my OBs directions and have lots of family support. My Dr also keeps asking me about birth control and say's it's up to me but I still have a good 8-12 years to have more children so to really talk about it with my DH before making any permanent decisions. So, that tells me she thinks I may be able to have more.
    luvbnmomnwife

Answer by luvbnmomnwife at 8:26 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I have had 4 c-sections. all of them unwanted but I had little choice.I have heard of some women who have had as many as 8 c-sections. Most doctors recommend 2-3 years in between c-sections.with each your risk of serious complications goes up. This past c-section has been a long recovery process much longer than the other 3. the first was horrible , the 2 in the middle were not so bad.. but I definitely do NOT want to go through a 5th c-section.

Anonymous