How to clear up the kids rooms?

I need to clear up my kids room there is so many toys and stuff animals and my dd is so attached to all of them how do I get rid of them? Without her throwing a fit.

The other day I gave away afew of her clothes that don't fit she got so upset at me she cried and cried I don't want to go through that again.

I believe they are all sentimental to her. What can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:47 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• an oversized toy chest is good. I would really narrow the animals down by what she plays with and go from there. Have her help you. Get her involved. Dontate them to charity and let her know how shes helping other little kids. Let her go with you when you drop them off
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:49 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Can you explain to her about needy children maybe show her some info on the internet and ask her if she thinks she has anything that she would like to give to another child. you could talk to her about going to a donation place and explain to her how much she would be helping someone else. This way she can choose what she wants to give away. Maybe do this 2x a week until you get her room nice an clutter free.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 6:56 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Do it when she is not home, and when she gets home, explain that you've taken some toys out that you want her to donate. She can look through and maybe pick one or two things she wants to keep, but for the most part don't have her look through the whole thing. Let her go with you to bring the things to the local shelter or homeless outreach.

TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 12:08 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• i get a few boxes and fill them up with stuff i think she really doesnt need or use. Then I show it to her or dont depending on the child. I just put the boxes out int he garage and tell her the room is too full..when im sure she wont miss them or it is time to clean out the room again I may donate the boxes or let her trade a stuffed animal in her room for one in the box. I also try to make her get rid of one thing of equal size b4 bringing something else into the house.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:56 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Something else i have done with dd that worked welll...I gave her 3 tubs for stuffed animals and told her to pick the best ones first that if they didnt fit in the tubs I was getting rid of them. We pulled out every stuffed animal we could find and the pile was insane. She picked thru and put in all her favorites and tried smashing them in lol. whatever was left I put in balck trash bags and put them in the trunk right away to donate. We did this with blankets too. Got them ALL together from all over the house so she could see it was insane to have that many, then I let her choose 7 to keep...the rest went. I just had to be firm..she got over it
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:05 AM on Oct. 26, 2009