Did you hear about the cop who cited someone for not speaking english?!

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/DN-citations_23met.ART.State.Edition2.4bac015.html?nTar=OPUR

This was just so stupid of the cop.

Michele068

Asked by Michele068 at 7:03 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• "I took a total of 7 years of Spanish in school, AND I studied abroad for a semester in Spain. I DO know enough Spanish to "get by," WHY can't a non-English speaking person, learn to do the same in AMERICA--enough to at least "get by?" "

They don't have the opportunity to take 7 years of English before they get here for one! A lot don't have the opportunity once they do get here to learn it in a classroom either! And like I said, culture shock can REALLY slow things down, pretty much make you unconsciously shut the new culture out and it's language, with out even really knowing you're doing it!

You said people in other countries learn English to get ahead... then why can't Americans learn Spanish to get ahead?

I took 3 years of Spanish in H.S. 4 years in College (it was one of my majors) I did 3 study abroads and I'm still hardly fluent... learning a new language is HARD for most! And that's WITH great teachers!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 7:50 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• If there were here legally they would have to speak some English. That's part of the immigration. I don't think it was stupid at all.  They should have deported the person

Anonymous

• err I tend to agree with anon..if they are illegals send their butts back home...if not then I guess the cops were wrong...but myself I feel there should be a law..im sick and tired of Americans having to bend over backwards to accomodate immigrants and they do nothing to blend in with our society..thats wrong
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:08 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• If you read the article you would see that they have done that to many people who HAS a drivers license. People are just so racist it's causing them to be stupid and issues DUMB tickets such as NON-SPEAKING DRIVER. And she has "LIMITED" english. Read before you post.
    Michele068

Answer by Michele068 at 7:08 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Guess they better start learning how to speak English eh?

I was cited for being out at 3am because I looked too young to be out, I was 19 and had my ID out waiting for him. He didn't care, he told me to get home before he calls my mother. I laughed took the stupid citation and went to my apartment. Only people who know they are doing something wrong pitch a fit.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 7:09 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• let me re-phrase a bit before someone blows a gasket SOME immigrants certainly some do indeed put the effort in and kudos to them ..these others who dont only serve to make all look bad..its a shame
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:10 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I agree with the first two posters. How can they get away with going to court when illegal and just go home? In AC every year they have a march for the illegals. Thousands of them show and no one is deported!!! I get sooo pissed. Then the gov complains about how the country is full of them!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:10 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• She is legal in the US.
    Michele068

Answer by Michele068 at 7:11 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• good for her she should learn english now its past due time..no more of this demanding us to learn their lang and putting it all over products..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:13 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• She knows some. I am sure she is learning if she does learn some. But english being said the "hardest" language to learn I don't blame her for having trouble, but I think it is good she is trying.
    Michele068

Answer by Michele068 at 7:14 PM on Oct. 23, 2009