What do Christians think of the Unitiarian Universalist church?

I would like to start attened a Unitiarian Universalists church. I work in a very conservative southern Bapitist setting. Would my coworkers have an issue with me attending that church?
Not that it will weigh into my decision. I would like to know what type of reaction I'd get if I told people.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• tnmomoffive, that's the thing... it's clear to you. But for most of the rest of the world that's not clear at all. I have a real issue with teaching my son that people who don't believe what he does are going to hell or "wrong." As sure as you are that you know the truth, I am just as sure that God loves me and there are many paths to him.  When you study other religions and get to know people of other faiths it is very clear that many Christians lack the peace and comfort of God. While people across the globe know God and live in his glory with the comfort that they have a true relationship with him without the bible.  I want my child to love God and trust in him. I can't dictate how he does that.

Anonymous

• Don't you believe the bible is the Word of God? Unitarian's believe there is more than one way to God. Jesus says he is the only way to the Father.
    Anonymous

• I don't know much about it, I just looked up their frequently asked questions and it sounds more like a "way of life" than a religion to me. Not a bad one but it looks like the main focus is not God but the individual. I could be wrong I only read a snippet, but I think based on my first impression that you probably will get some grief from the more vocal Baptists you encounter if the subject comes up.
    Anonymous

• Who cares what they think? Its your life.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 8:39 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• If they will have issues - don't tell them. But frankly, your religious beliefs should have NOTHING to do with your work unless of course you work for the church or something. Southern Baptists tend to want everyone to be SB. And would probibly take at least minor issue with the fact that you are going to any religious service that's not theirs... (Just like many other denoms)

Go to a church that you are happy with and enjoy it! Don't ever let someone elses opinion weigh more than your own.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:47 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I think they will probably pray for you and be sad for you that you are misled.
    Anonymous

• We were married in the UU fellowship hall. We had a few guests refuse to attend, and one in particular who did attend and nearly had an aneurysm once he was what it was like. There will always be outspoken people who have more zeal than manners, but you shouldn't live your life around them. If they push, just tell them you went to "church".
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:57 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• And thank you, anon :56, for so readily proving my point.
    NotPanicking

• NotPanicking
    And thank you, anon :56, for so readily proving my point.

How did I prove your point? I have manners. You just don't like the truth.
    Anonymous

• I would not care what my co-workers think about my religion,church or lack of it.
    If they say anything, they are rude. I'm sorry but religious beliefs are personal and not to be criticized.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 9:18 PM on Oct. 23, 2009