Local "Monster Myths"...

I am looking for more information about local "monster myths." When I say Local I really am refering to US... While worldwide if facinating, I don't have the moola to travel around the world. But I would like to do some research and whatnot on "monsters" I can travel to try to find.

I know there is Mothman, Bigfoot & the Jersey Devil (which I would be happy to get info on as well) but what else is there? Are there myths local to you that are worth looking in to??

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 8:41 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Champ, Loveland Lizard, Windigo, Bessie, Thunderbirds, Darlington Sky Serpent, Goatman, Skunkape.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:58 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Montauk Monster, Beast of Bray Road...
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:02 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I my gosh.....you need to look up one famous in SC.......The Lizard Man. It is crazy! It was around when I was in elementary school and then "he" resurfaced within the past two years over this crazy story about how a car was mauled........google it.......I think it originated in Beaufort, South Carolina.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 12:17 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Man eating Catfish in the Mississippi River
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 12:51 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• el chupacabra
    ilovemyboys21

Answer by ilovemyboys21 at 2:03 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• The one I'm most familiar with is the Jersey Devil. Though I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, it's something I've read a bit about. (Being from the Pine Barrens in NJ)
    NJPhotoMom

Answer by NJPhotoMom at 7:07 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• SC seems to have several. I just read about some in a book called "Lost Lands, Forgotten Realms : Sunken Continents, Vanished Cities, and the Kingdoms That History Misplaced" (it was talking about their underground realms). The author, Bob Curran, writes about folklore & is great to read, but he isn't an American so the books are really global & only touch on American subjects. Check out this website with many articles on cryptozoology http://cryptozoology.suite101.com/articles.cfm
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 11:10 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• If your interested in bigfoot this is a great site for sightings etc,

http://www.bfro.net/
    zanzeebeel

Answer by zanzeebeel at 2:42 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• you should check out the national geographic show called "Is it real" they cover lots of american monster's
    piperscloset

Answer by piperscloset at 2:22 PM on Oct. 28, 2009