Is there anything I can do to prepare myself for breastfeeding?

With my son my milk supply did not come in til he was 8 days old. I really would like to breast feed for my daughter(due in 28 days). i was just curious if there were any suggestions for before she arrives.

CamLivysMomma

Asked by CamLivysMomma at 8:42 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• read the womanly art of breastfeeding so you can know what's going on with your body, and how to max supply. (2 important things--> nurse on demand and do NOT supplement with formula at all so your supply can build up:) )

congrats!
    Anonymous

• Physically, other than taking a few herbs that have been shown to increase milk supply, I'm not sure there is much you can do other than nurse on demand and take it easy. (Stress can hinder milk supply). Mentally... just prepare yourself for the long road ahead of caring for a newborn and make sure you have plenty of help with your son, house work, etc... so you can focus on nursing.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 9:02 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• You can't take the herbs while you're still pregnant.

Nothing you can do but educate yourself for now. Milk generally arrives faster n subsequent pregnancies.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:14 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• True about the herbs. Totally didn't think of that. Glad above poster brought it up. That is what you can do AFTER to help increase supply once you get going.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 9:18 PM on Oct. 23, 2009