Is Attachment Parenting the "in thing" to do these days?

I keep seeing this claim being made and am not sure what to make of it. I do not know many people in real life who practice AP. Maybe people say this because they see it all over the Cafemom network?? What do you think?

logansmomma2007

Asked by logansmomma2007 at 8:43 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• My mom did some ap parenting before there was a name for it, I don't really like the term "attachment parenting" I think of it more as natural parenting, I mean AP isn't about breastfeeding/baby wearing/etc. The basics principles of AP are prepare for pregnancy, birth, and parenting, feed with love and respect (for SOME this means BF, but can and DOES happen with FF), respond with sensitivity, use nurturing touch, ensure safety, provide care and love, practice positive discipline, and strive for balance in personal and family life, I think ALL mothers (all good mothers anyways) do this, and what is right for one mother or family isn't right for another but just because it's different doesn't mean it's wrong.

Aniyunwiya

Answer by Aniyunwiya at 12:50 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I have been a mom for 17 years and was an AP mom before I knew it had a title.
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 8:47 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• i am a single mom and i am doing the ap and i been doing it sense she was born it a way to have them near bye and they are more relaxed and it helps if u have a baby with colic. the best book to answer any ur question is doctor sears our go to his website drsears.com i believe
    hope this works
    Anonymous

• This is not a new concept, but alot of young moms want to think they have created a new idea. When I was a young bride, preparing for children, i asked around for ideas and Grandma did this with all of hers.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:57 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I think its the "in" thing to do lately.

Ive seen it in real life, not to the extent I hear about online but enough to know they were AP or they would say they were LOL.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 8:58 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• But do you think that it is the trendy thing to do now?

I didn't realize that people thought this until recently.  I always thought that people just do what works.

logansmomma2007

Answer by logansmomma2007 at 9:02 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Ok, gonna put my foot in my mouth now....

I think, anymore, people dont necessarily do what works but its more like they "researched" up the wazoo and decided it would work. Sometimes it probably does and other times they do more "research" to find a solution that fits within the mold they've chosen.

I dont see too much parenting by heart anymore, what I mean is actually going by their hearts and not relying on everything else to tell them what to do or give them the latest and greatest to do it with,etc. I think many feel they are tho.

Hope that made some sense. Just remember its my OPINION so dont jump down my throat.

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:09 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Posting Anon because the last time I stated an opinion on this I got an inbox full of hate mail and threats. I think AP is trendy. I also think it is a crock of crap. I have 3 cousins and 2 sisters who have practiced it. What I see is they have kids they can't get out of their beds, kids that don't sepearate easily from them and kids who have NO CLUE how to self comfort. I am not a fan of CIO either. As with all things in life you need BALANCE. Too much of any one thing is never a good idea. IMO.
    Anonymous

• Amaranth361 - I think you know me better than that :-)

I think that we have always been influenced by the parenting decisions of others. Prior to the Internet we relied on our loved ones. Maybe some followed their hearts, but I am sure there were many others who felt pressured by what everyone around them was doing, or pressuring them to do.

I do agree that we are influenced by what we see online. Although, it is done in a way that allows the parent to look up information on their own, and figure out if it could work for them. There is also support for those who do not have it in real life (like me). I believe that most do follow their hearts though.
    logansmomma2007

Answer by logansmomma2007 at 9:26 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I wouldn't say it is an "in thing" so much as that now it is more socially acceptable and less likely to be done behind closed doors as it was in the past because of so.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 9:28 PM on Oct. 23, 2009