freaking out for virtually no reason...

I am nine weeks pregnant. At seven weeks and 2-3 days I was having some mild spotting, freaked out, and went to the nearest doctor. (I'm using a midwife, who does not have an u/s machine...and I wanted the u/s dang it!) They did a vaginal ultrasound and it took her a full two minutes to find the heartbeat...but find it she did! She seemed all smiles and said the bleeding was probably due to a recent pelvic exam. She also checked the cervix and didn't mention any opening or bleeding coming from it directly. I felt fine...when tonight for some odd reason I decided it would be a GREAT idea to look up other 7 week ultrasounds on youtube. My baby looked nothing like these! The heartbeats were so defined and easy to see and most of the babies were in the middle. Mine took a bit of searching and appeared stuck to the side. Granted, this u/s machine was as old as I am... but now I'm still feeling antsy. :-(

ErinHill226

Asked by ErinHill226 at 8:54 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Don't feel bad. At 11 weeks an ER doctor could not find my baby at all even with the vaginal probe. I had to go to the radiologist and she found him. I have had a lot of spotting and even a hemmorhage, and my son is hanging on just fine. (it feels crazy to type "my son" lol) I am 17 weeks.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 8:59 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• even a few days at that point can make a huge difference,, and maybe your dates are off by just a bit. like maybe you ovulated a week later than you though. :) try not to worry i'm sure everything is fine =)
    Anonymous

• I'm sort of thinking it was the machine itself...or hoping rather. I mean, the heartbeat WAS there...it only concerns me that the screen was so dang fuzzy, there was no way to really count the bpm. I mean this thing was OLD. They were probably using it when my mom was pregnant with me! So she just checked to see that the "blip" or "clap" or whatever it looks like was in fact there...and that was the best she could do wtih that thing.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 9:32 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I agree with anon, that timing here can make a BIG difference.

I know in ultra-sounds my girl measured a "week small" so at 7 weeks she probably would have looked more like a 6 week old, which is a BIG difference.

Anyway, she still came out healthy and strong...and a week late.

But seriously...don't get mad at yourself for freaking out, your pregnancy hormones are enough alone to cause that.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:27 PM on Oct. 23, 2009