When do you change your baby to a front facing car seat? I've heard at least a year old and 25 pounds. Just want to make sure my little one is safe!

snb216

Asked by snb216 at 9:31 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I hope you don't get any nasty answers to this question! I have heard people on here fight a lot about this. The bare minimum is one year and twenty pounds and if you choose to turn your child at that time it is perfectly legal. However, what I have chosen to do is to keep my son rear facing because it is safer and highly recommended until at least age two. But of course that is entirely up to you.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 9:36 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Technically, one year and 20 pounds, but it is much safer to wait longer and put your baby in a convertible car seat rear facing longer.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 9:37 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• one yr and 20 Lbs i turned both mine around once they hit those 2 milstones 1 cuz they were bored looking at a seat and 2 cuz my daughter legs were to long to sit rear facing anymore she was so crapmed but its up to u weather u want to turn them then or wait alot of ppl do wait theres nothing wrong with it as long as they are straped in rite and are at least a yr and 20LBS then ur goo d
    cocobutt2002

Answer by cocobutt2002 at 9:47 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• the law is one year and twenty pounds. Many car seats go much higher than that. Mine will rear face until 35 pounds so I plan on keeping her RF until then. It's safer and in my opinion it gives their little necks time to get stronger. good luck :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:59 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• The American Academy of Pediatrics is now recommending children remain rear facing until age 2 yrs. It is fine for their legs to be folding over :-)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:12 PM on Oct. 23, 2009