breast pumping question

i am breast pumping my newborn, not breastfeeding (not taking to the breast). i was just wondering how often i should be pumping. i just did both breast at once and it gave me a little over 5oz.

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 9:58 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i was pumping every four hours. whenever you feel your breast full. and congrats on the breast feeding good for you and your baby!!
    rosepetalluv

Answer by rosepetalluv at 10:00 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• you need to go to a lactation consultant or a LL meeeting they will help you to get baby to latch-- pumping will never give you the correct supply you'll fail and go to formula pretty fast-- in the first 6 weeks of life babies will latch and "demand" about every 2 hours-- when your supply is full --around the 6th week but some take as long as 12 weeks-- then the baby will only nurse 4 or five times a day for about 15 minutes .... its worth it find a LLL meeting and go they are wonderful
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:05 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I do think going to a lactation consultant will help you a ton. Even if its just to work out a pumping schedule. But the previous poster is wrong. My best friend had to pump with two of her three children because they wouldnt take to her breast. The other latched fine and everything was great, but for two of them, she pumped for two years each. It was definitely more of a process for her, but it can absolutely be done. Good Luck!

And to answer - maybe every three hours?
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 10:28 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Pumping is a pain so I would agree that you should try and find a lactation consultant to help. That being said don't believe that you will fail and switch to formula quickly. I am successfully feeding solely expressed breastmilk. I get enough to feed her through the day and freeze between 8-10 ounces. I have been pumping for my daughter since day 4 (she is 6 week now) when we had to supplement formula because my milk was slow coming in and she was losing too much weight and having jaundice problems. After the very first bottle she lost interest in the breast and it was a battle to get her to latch. I pump every 2-4 hours. I make very attempt to pump every 2 hours but sometimes that is impossible so I get it in as soon as I can but try never to go more than 4 hours. In order to be successful you have to pump as much as possible (this means pumping at night too) and use your hand while pumping to express what the pump can't get
    spbeta

Answer by spbeta at 10:29 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• When I did it with my daughter I usually did it at night and an in the morning or lunch time. I would fill as many as I could. If you don't want to go see a lactation consultant (and shame on you guys who tell her she's gonna fail, NEVER say that. we're all supposed to be supportive) you don't have too. The lactation lady I saw SUCKED and didn't do a damn thing for me. Anyways. that's what I did.. GOOD LUCK!
    fireangel0310

Answer by fireangel0310 at 10:36 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I agree very strongly with getting help from a pro. To keep up your supply and be able to make sure you can keep providing though, I'd probably pump every 2 hours throughout the day, and at least once overnight - at least as often as she's feeding.
    Anonymous