Sick baby?

I have a 12 week old little boy and he slept all day yest so I thought he was just going thru a growth spurt cause that's what my daughter used to do but today when he woke up his left eye was red, puffy and bugery. He's also had three poopy diapers today and he usually only poops every other day. His last poopy diaper had stringy mucusy stuff in it. He's not running a temp so I didn't know if I should call his dr or even take him in. I'd appreciate some advice. Thanks.

jazzysmommy1004

Asked by jazzysmommy1004 at 10:22 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just keep him dressed worm don't take him outside and the eye will get better, if you take him outside it will only get worse, the poop thing is ok, I just went through this with my baby.
    I noticed that when there eye is like that and you take them outside it gets worse, but if you keep him inside should go oway, and if you breastfeed you can take some of the milk soak a cotton ball in it and wipe his eye with it, I would only take him to the Dr. if things get worse but they shouldn't
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 11:48 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• it may just b a virus everyones sick rite now but id take him in just to play it safe
    cocobutt2002

Answer by cocobutt2002 at 10:25 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• you can always call your doctor.... my philosephy when i had a new baby was better safe then sorry. The doctors get paid to be on call and most are glad to listen and give you their medical opinion.

at around 12 weeks my son had an eye infection that sounds like what you explained.... doctor perscribed some ointment and everything was fine.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:25 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Thanks ladies. Me, my husband and my daughter were all sick but its been several weeks ago and he never caught it so I'm not real sure where he picked this up. Could it be the air filter in our house needing replaced?
    jazzysmommy1004

Answer by jazzysmommy1004 at 10:35 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I had the eye thing too...doctor said it was clogged tear ducts and to put a warm wash cloth on it to help open it up...he also prescribed ointment just to be on the safe side. If you're concerned..call your doctor. He's pretty young.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:36 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• looovemybabies - thank you. I won't be taking him anywhere this weekend then.
    jazzysmommy1004

Answer by jazzysmommy1004 at 12:18 AM on Oct. 24, 2009