If my milk hasn't come in by day 7, does that mean its not coming in at all?

Hey ladies. I would appreciate any advice from anyone that has any! I was so adament (sp?) on breastfeeding my son who was born last Saturday. But my milk still hasn't come in, and we had to give him formula because he was starving.

My question is, if my milk hasn't come in by day 7, does that mean its not coming in at all?

With my DD it was in by like day 3 or 4??? Im just so worried, I really wanted to breastfeed him,and I know there is nothing wrong with formula feeding, its just something that I really wanted to be able to do.

Thanks ahead of time

livingrlovesong

Asked by livingrlovesong at 10:26 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• Mine took that long, don't stress, just nurse him more often. My son lost 14 ounces in his first week and gained it all back within two weeks after my milk came in. People INSISTED that I HAD to give him formula because he was starving. He wasn't, and didn't. He nursed once an hour, and every two hours through the night during that first week, My milk came in with a vengance on the 7th day, starting on the 8th day, and for the next two months I was exclusively nursing, AND pumping 16 oz per day 8 oz per pumping session!
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 2:57 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Nurse him more often, every hour if he wants. Put him to the breast for a good amount of time before giving him formula. It's all about supply and demand, unless there's something truly wrong. I also suggest giving your OB/gyn a call too, and ask about any supplements you could take to help.
    Anonymous

• my milk didnt come all the way until i was 3 weeks post partum so just keep trying, give formula when needed and relax! lol i gave formula until my sone was 3 weeks old and he is now 3.5 months old. He no longer takes formula and he didnt become nipple confused! also he is perfectly fine and healthy so do what u have to do to get some rest and for your son to be well fed- your milk will come in soon! good luck and congrats!
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 10:33 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I agree with Anon. Just keep trying to nurse him even though he might not be getting much of anything. The more he sucks the more it will stimulate milk production. My milk didn't come in till the 4th day and I had to give my son formula as well because he would just cry and cry from being unsatisfied. I nursed him every half and hour for a whole day straight (because I didn't realize he wasn't getting anything) and now I have MORE than enough milk for him.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:19 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Yes just keep nursing. If anything he is getting colostrum..plus he may be getting something.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 1:14 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• NURSE NURSE NURSE drink lots of water juice milk then NURSE NURSE NURSE pump 1 side while baby nurses on the other...don't give up ur milk IS there baby just wants more :) work on buildin'up ur supply! DON'T GIVE FORMULA U R UNDERMINING EVERTHING! breathe,smile,nurse.....repeat
    good-luck!
    DM-dreamgirl

Answer by DM-dreamgirl at 6:28 AM on Oct. 24, 2009