I never thought I would be one of those question askers but..

I had my baby 3 months ago and I breastfeed. I know that when you breastfeed, your period will take longer to start up but my question is: is it possible to get certain pregnancy symptoms just because of the delay in having a menstrual and because I am bfing, or do those symptoms only happen because of pregnancy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Hormones can do funny things to your body and some effects could mimic pregnancy, sure. What are we talking about? If you think you might be pregnant...take a test...it is very possible you are...even if your period hasn't started back up yet.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:40 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Op here- well the thing is I don't even know whether I should think I am or not because my husband and I were kind of safe when we did it ( I say kind of because we didn't use anything but the pull out method which always works for us but since my period hasn't started back up yet I don't even know when to expect my ovulation) but the thing is, I have been having symptoms that I only get when I am pregnant but I wasn't sure if that is because I haven't gotten my period yet and because I am breastfeeding or if it's because I really am pregnant again.
    Anonymous

• Throwing up can happen from non-pregnant causes like illness and food poisoning.

But pregnancy IS possible during breast-feeding, so there's nothing wrong with testing.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:47 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• If you ecologically breastfeed then your chances of becoming pregnant before 6 months is roughly 2%. So almost nothing. But if you're supplimenting, using a pacifer, or baby is sleeping through the night, then it's more likely.

You can tell ovulation is impending when you start having fertile quality cervical fluid. Read Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler. You'll learn a lot :)

Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:15 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• @ Ati_13 - "ecologically"? Please tell me you mean exclusively. HUGE difference in words there babe!

@OP - the pull-out method is NOT effective BC. If you're having sex, you can get pregnant. Breastfeeding hormones can really do a number on you though. If you're thinking you might be, take a test.
    Anonymous

• ecological breastfeeding is a step above exclusivity. Ecological breastfeeding includes stipulations on how long you can go between feedings, not just that baby is recieving only breastmilk.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:46 AM on Oct. 24, 2009