Regular Flu shot?

This question is for moms that have given the regular flu shot to babies. My son is 6 months now and just got his flu shot for the first time and ever since he has been unbelievably grumpy, is this normal? how long should it last before I should get worried? What are the other side effects? And how can I help him feel better?

huntersmommy408

Asked by huntersmommy408 at 10:55 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes it is normal. And if you didn't know that then IMO you probably should not have given your child the flu shot. I hope you knew enough to ask for the mercury free ones.
    It "should" last for about 24 hours before you should start to get worried.
    Other side effects ...oh boy
    here are the common ones
    * Soreness, redness, or swelling where the shot was given
    * Fever (low grade)
    * Aches

More serious but less common side effects
    Allergic Reactions
    Hives
    anaphylaxis

Also, any and all of the symptoms of the flu can be a "side effect" to the vaccine.

outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:01 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Your doctor should have told you all this.
    AND YOU should have done your own research (at least checked the CDC website) before injecting your child.
    outstandingLove

• Wow! You know when you go home with your baby from the hospital, start going to the pediatrician and stuff, the last thing you think about is, "Let me go online and make sure that everything my trusted pediatrician just told me isn't a lie or some kind of conspiracy and all these injections that he claims are routine are really filled with toxins that could potentially kill my child". No, you think, I want to make sure I do everything I can to keep my child healthy.

And, if it weren't for cafemom, tons of us wouldn't even know the "other side" to these vaxes.

My guess is your baby is running a fever from the shot. Which is OK as long as it's lowgrade (not above 102 for infants). He could be in pain from the injection site, you could take a warm washcloth and gently rub in a circular motion to "break up" the medicine. You can give him tylenol to make him comfortable. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• Just because you are a first time mom does not mean that's a reason to not do your research.

And anon ...it's not like she didn't have 9 months to realize that her baby was going to have regular vaccinations.

And YES even if CM wasn't here i would still have done my research on vaccines and ANYTHING else that involves my children.

OP- i'm sorry that my opinion comes off as rude. It's not you or your choices that irritates me. It's your doctor. You trust your doctor, (as most people do and i'm not saying they shouldn't) and i promise you he's injecting your child with things that have not been proven to be safe. HE doesn't know if they are safe. Heb B (which is a vaccine your child got a birth) has never been tested on infants. And the flu vaccine doesn't even have a high effective rating and many of them contain mercury.

I wish your baby and you the best of luck. And i BEG you to read The Vaccine Book.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:16 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Anyone with negative responses that DO NOT want to be helpful, DON'T answer my question. I'm a first time mom, I'm not going to know everything there is to know about raising a child. Thank you anonymous for being so kind.
    huntersmommy408

Answer by huntersmommy408 at 11:17 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I'm sorry huntersmommy. I clearly offended you.
    I will delete my answers if you want.

And i wanted to let you know that i'm not anti-vaccine. I'm anti-informed choice. Doctors should really be informing their patients of these risks.

btw ...i have never given birth. My two boys grew in my heart but not in my belly.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:20 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• DS was cranky for about a day, maybe two after his flu shot the first time. make sure nothing binds across where he got the shot (pants, ect) and watch his fever in case it goes up. As for the vax debate, I did my own research, but all I found on the neg side were scare sites not good solid info so I ignored it for the most part till I got to CM. Here you guys actually give info rather than try to scare me and it has been helpful, I am still vaxing but now understand the other side and respect it.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 11:30 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• my dd got it today!!!! did he only get the flu shot or the rest of the 6 months shots... my dd is doing just fine.. she is doing great... hope he gets better..
    laly87

Answer by laly87 at 11:50 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• another thing as soon as i got home my dd got a warm bubble bath to help her with fever and gave her motrin infants... that always helps
    laly87

Answer by laly87 at 11:56 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• you shoud of asked about the side effects BEFORE you let them give your LO the shot!! (not trying to be mean or rude) i am a first time mom too thats why i did the research so i could make informed decision.
    Anonymous