Daycare closing gave me 1 day notice and not reimbursing me for the week i paid in advance.....

I have been with the same inhome daycare provider for over a year now and she has found a job with a hospital. Great, i'm excited she has. BUT I pay her on the first of every month for the entire month ( i only get paid once a month) and she emailed me at noon today to tell me she will not be babysitting anymore (she took today as a personal day so kiddo was at home w/dad). I told her that i was happy for her, but my budget alotted for the last week of 10/26-10/30 daycare and she already has it and to please reimburse me. Her answer...
You daughter ruined 2 mattresses in her playpens at nap time in the last 2 months (she has been potty training her for 12 months) and i will be deducting these and sending you the remaining. Now my daughter is in a toddler bed at home and has only pottied 1 night (she sleep for 10 hours a night) and hasnt worn pullup at all in my house in over 6 months. but is in a playpen there?
CONT..

roxyann76

Asked by roxyann76 at 11:23 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

• I am extremely frustrated and have gone back and forth in several emails explaining that if she would have asked for this money i would have happily paid her for it at the time i paid her. I'm on a very strict budget getting paid only once a month. I also felt this was daycare expense and she can write it off. She proceeds to tell me that she is not with the state and cannot deduct it. I feel thats a crock - an in-home business is a business and she has income and can claim those on her taxes - i told her to talk to her accountant.
    But anyways I'm soo upset. I have to either take the week off and loose more money or beg and borrow cash to pay for something i have already paid for. GGRRRRRR , :(((
    I dont know wether to cry or scream.
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 11:27 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Contact the state - like your county's department of human services, or whatever you have where you are, and ask to talk to someone about the situation. That's the best advice I have, besides cutting your losses.
    Anonymous

• How much money is she keeping?

You probably need to see the mattress that was ruin to make the judgement call.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• It is 125.00 and the point was she never asked for me to reimburse her 2 months ago when it happened. She is now just keeping the money i paid her in advance saying its for this cost to replace it but never asked me to pay for it when it happened.
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 12:03 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• She can't just give you a one day notice and then take your money on top of that, is she had a problem with a ruined matress she should of brought that issue up the day it happend, I would call BBB and explaine your situation to them and they will set you on the right track. Good luck momma, what she did is not right and she needs to pay you back, and besides if she is just now telling you about the matress how do you even know if it really was your doughter who ruined the matress and not someone else.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:15 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• You can take her to small claims court. Threatening her with it that might work. Totally your call.   Doesn't seem right.  Good luck.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Can she PROVE your daughter ruined two mattresses? Did she tell you about it at the time? If not then it isn't your problem. I'm not sure how on Earth you can "ruin" a play pen anyway! I've had just about everything you can imagine happen in mine and I find it really hard to believe that it was ruined by potty training. They are designed for children!
    Did you sign a contract with her stating that you would be paying for expenses if your child ruined anything in her home? If not I would threaten to file a report with the police dept for theft because thats what it is. Then take her to small claims court.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• It seems that she is in violation of your contract. contact your state regulator, though you may need to file in small claims court.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:15 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Is she really licensed???? Or is she just watching your daughter....If she is not licensed that is probably why she can't write it off...she isn't claiming the income. If she is then there is no reason why she can't. I think it sounds crappy on her part to treat you like that. And if she is licensed I don't see how she can give you a 1 day notice!
    Momm2Princess

Answer by Momm2Princess at 9:34 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I would assume that she would expect more than a one day notice from you if you had decided to place your child somewhere else.....well you certainly deserve more than a one day notice that she is no longer going to be your daycare provider. She should refund you for that last week out of common courtesy, if nothing else, but breach of contract because there is no way that she should be giving a one day notice. I would think that they threat of you taking her to court will inspire her to give you your money back for that week because A) there is no way she would win this battle and B) if she isn't licensed and paying taxes she is going to be exposed.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:31 PM on Oct. 24, 2009