If You Are Pro-Life, What's Your Thoughts On Birth Control?

If you knew it was scientifically proven that one of the primary roles of hormonal birth control is to affect the uterine wall in a way that prevents a one-week old embryo from implanting, thus causing early abortion, would you still use it? Why or why not? And if so, explain why you wouldn't think of it as abortion.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Actually, that is a secondary function. Almost always it suppresses ovulation. That's how it works. It thins the lining of the uterus as a side effect, which can, yes, keep an embryo from implanting, but that is not it's PRIMARY function.

I have used BCPs in the past, but do not use them any more and won't use them in the future. I feel that they caused problems early in my first pregnancy, and I don't want chemical hormone mimics in my system. As pro-life as I sometimes am (my views are changing), I can't make myself care that much about the MAYBE of an embryo not being able to implant. Do you know how many embryos don't implant, even without BCPs? Quite a few. I feel that that risk is sometimes acceptable rather than waiting for the woman to get pregnant and have a full blown abortion.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:33 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• i am against birth control, lol i mean my DH and i use condoms yes i suppose that is one type of birth control, as well as spermacide but as far as birth control itself no...
    waterlily89

Answer by waterlily89 at 11:40 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I think that if you knew it could kill and embryo, I would be against it. For me, any birth control that prevents the sperm and egg from uniting is OK... like I have an IUD. But if a BC actually disposed of an embryo while it was trying to implant, I think that I would be against that, because from conception, it is a life.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 11:41 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Well, I'm pro-choice. But I don't use IUDs for this reason. They stop perfectly formed embryos from attaching to the wall of the uterus and cause early abortion. I can't use hormonal BC because I have hormonal issues and they make me hemorrhage. But in my opinion IUDs are abortion and I won't use them.

Hormonal BC on the other hand has 2 functions. The fist is to suppress ovulation. Although should something occur they are also supposed to force the body to refuse the implantation...  But I still see them as a better choice.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:42 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• This is an issue that I have been researching. Unless I can find a birthcontrol pill that absolutely, without question, prevents ovulation, I have determined that I cannot personally use it. I used BCP for 15 years of my life before I got pregnant with my son and it wasn't until recently that I actually discovered that they work (in some ways) by preventing a fertilized egg from implanting in the uterus lining. If I consider conception to take place at the moment of fertilization (and I do) then I cannot comfortably use BCP. My son was once an embryo. He WAS who he IS at the moment of conception. I do not actually believe in abortion under any circumstances. I have actually felt pretty convicted by the fact that I once donated my eggs and out of the twelve eggs that were harvested, how many were fertilized? If only one was viable, what happened to the other eleven? Anyway....JMO
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 11:55 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I'm pro life and I do not use birthcontrol I belive it's a sin.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:19 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• OP here--just wanted to clarify that I asked this question in light of reading the book "Why Can't We Love Them Both?" and there is a chapter discussing how all types of birth control work. While it IS the secondary function of the pill (the traditional combination pill) for the progestin only, it's the primary function as it is for Norplant/Implanon and also for the Depo-Provera shot (even though it can prevent ovulation it's less frequent) and IUD's ONLY work in the uterus. Of course the books cites all of it's references and is actually available online. I didn't learn this until recently, but a lot of people who i know have suffered miscarriages OR had trouble concieving used birth control that worked this way...Like someone else said, if it ONLY prevents ovulation, it is fine, but after that point, you wouldn't know whether you concieved at all. I could never take that chance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I'm against AFB for many reasons the main one is what it doing to the environment. Seeping into the ground waters and causing havoc on the wild life. Male fish that are sterile and so on. Much like the havoc that was caused by DDT and Trisodium Phosphate.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 7:51 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I had a really nice lady (she is Catholic) inform me of the effects of hormonal BC and I was convicted and convinced. I had a tubal ligation instead. She doesn't agree with this either, but I'm at peace with God over it.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 8:33 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I think that hormonal BC is immoral. I'm not sure how I feel about surgical sterilization, on one hand it prevents egg meets sperm, and if it doesn't the baby would still be able to implant. On the other hand it malfunctions a perfectly functioning body that God blessed us with. I don't think that all BC is immoral, but I am Catholic and we don't use any ABC- I've gotten quite used to NFP.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 11:46 AM on Oct. 24, 2009