Please help me..

Im 27 wks pregnant and I had contractions today twice. It felt like my tummy tightened and hardened and then released. I called the doc but they were closed today. And after it released i got an aweful striking pain in my back with shortness of breath. could it be braxton hicks or actual contractions? or something else?

wishingmommy1

Asked by wishingmommy1 at 11:35 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If it only happened twice, it's probably BH contractions. Sometimes they do take your breath away, regardless of anyone who says they don't hurt. But you'll know real labor when it happens; there will be more than two contractions, they'll keep getting worse, and they won't go away. The general rule of thumb is to call the doctor or go to L&D if you have more than 4-6 contractions in an hour or if they're accompanied by bleeding or getting stronger.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:43 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Call the hospital that you will be delivering at. Most of them have after hours on call nurses to answer questions like these. To me it just sounded like "pregnancy pains", but with shortness of breath it is always a good thing to talk to a nurse or doctor just to be safe. Good luck hun.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 11:44 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• more than likely braxton hicks. if it were the real deal they would still be coming somewhat regularly and getting worse and longer each time
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 11:51 PM on Oct. 23, 2009