Anyone have a child with dermographism or 'skin writing'?

Dermographism is a skin disorder where the body produces histamines when the skin is lightly rubbed or scratched, producing welts and severe redness where scratched. This isnt a normal amount of redness, and doesnt require much touch to cause a reaction.
This is a possible diagnosis for my son, so im trying to hear some stories from some moms.

Thanks!

redderbedder

Asked by redderbedder at 11:38 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My son had something similar called Urticaria Pigmentosa Mastocytosis, which he thankfully outgrew by the time he was 7. In his case, he had brownish macules (surface groupings of mast cells) on his body that when brushed or scraped would produce large red welts & wheals on his skin that would be very itchy. B/c he developed this disorder as an infant (diagnosed at 2 months), it was feared that he would develop a different form of Mastocytosis called Systemic Mastocytosis, which affects the internal organs, & if those mast cells became irritated & swelled it could kill him, so we had to be very careful about what he was exposed to b/c anything could trigger the mast cells to react. Thankfully, his body began to reabsorb the macules starting around age 5 & were gone by age 7. He was treated w/prescription antihistamines & we had an epipen. We also had a list of foods, medications & situations to avoid to prevent triggers.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:47 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I know my sond Dr thinks he may have this but from the tests I have done he doesnt. But from what i read only thing that helps is meds unfortunatlly
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:16 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Thanks! Im sorry you went through that, but its nice to know that even something more "serious" than what my son has is manageable medically. I keep reading that it will most likely dissipate in a few years, so here's hoping.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 12:23 PM on Oct. 24, 2009