how often and to what extent do you clean house?

i hate for my house to be dirty, but i hate cleaning all day everyday...i have a 5 yo and a 17 month old thats home all day constantly tearing up stuff that doesnt belong to him lol....i try to do a thorough clean at least once a week but DH is very messy and always leaves his stuff everywhere i feel like a maid so i went on strike for a few days...i was just wondering how often u all clean and is it really that important to you to have a spot-free home at all times because i refuse to clean up 2 or 3 times a day lol!

secondtyme520

Asked by secondtyme520 at 11:41 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I full time and go to school 3 nights a week. have a 12 yr & 2 yr old. I clean on saturday monrings scrubing down bathrooms, and such and god bless my man he dusts and vaccuumes and does the kitty litters. but i do take 15-20 minutes a day to do a wierd chore. Clean a cupboard, clear out a dresser drawer or 2, clean up paper piles, go thru a section of a closet (floor, shelf, hang up stuff) but i only take a section for a short period of time cuz then its a quick clean and things then dont add up too quickly and i dont feel like i'm doing spring cleaning. Look up theflylady.com i just take her sugguestion of the day and clean only 1 for 15 min cuz that all i got :)
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 11:46 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• PP, I LOVE FlyLady! I'm just getting into it, and read her newsletters everyday.

I like to clean with a military-like diligence (grew up in the AF), but if you were to step into my house, it's probably the opposite. I live with my DF and FIL who were both raised by wolves and have NO domestic training whatsoever.

My kids are learning to help. I clean the kitchen every day, the bathroom is picked up every day, I'm getting better at cleaning up the clutter, but my FIL has a terrible habit of leaving paper towels, kleenex, lottery tickets, etc everywhere. He doesn't listen very well and has even weirder quirks than my DF does. It's hard to clean up after one, but TWO men is twice as hard and twice as frustrating.

I'd like to have my home spotless like my mom did for us when we were kids, but we were also very uncomfortable and unable to actually enjoy our home like a normal person should.

Don't stress yourself out.
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 11:51 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I straighten things up in the morning and at night. I do some sort of more in depth cleaning about a 1/2 hour a day on weekdays. It is good to keep a clean home, but sometimes I will purposely leave the dishes out or toys laying around when friends come over. I want people to be comfortable when visiting my home, and to have your house spic and span can make guests feel like they are gonna make you mad if they or their kids mess it up a bit! Relationships above all else. I love my "messier mom" friends!
    Pea22

Answer by Pea22 at 11:52 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I clean frequently thoughout the day. I have a schedule that I stick to. My house is always spotless.
    HaydensMommy007

Answer by HaydensMommy007 at 12:11 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• several times a day i tidy up. i keep the dishes and heavy cleaning for when the kids go to bed.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 12:17 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I am a clean as I go cleaner. I had 4 children in 5 years and homeschooled for 9 years. I had to find a routine that worked early on to keep things in order. That doesn't mean that there weren't toys all over the place during the day or that i didn't build forts with my children, make messes with art supplies, etc.. The cleaning stuff just got done throughout the day. When the boys took their baths at night I cleaned the bathroom (sink and toilet while they bathed, tub when they got out) and as they got older we all cleaned (toilet, sink and counter) as we went and the last person to shower cleaned it. I keep water in the sink for dishes, do them as they need done & change the water a few times a day. Beds made 1st thing in the day, laundry done as soon as the hamper is at least 3/4's full, fold laundry as soon as it comes out of the dryer & put it away ASAP. Dust & sweep daily, mop as needed.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 12:34 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• i use to be obsessed with cleaning...hating anything to be out of place.....but now for some reason i have lost that spark......Now...I do like 2 loads of dishes a day, a load of laundry, i pick up toys, but i only sweep like every other day.
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 12:39 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Once you get in to the routine, it's easy to keep it up. I started this routine when I was pregnant with my 3rd child in early 1990 and now that the older 2 have moved out and we just have 2 in high school left at home it doesn't take me long to do what needs done. I honestly have most of my work done within 30 min. of waking up every day...beds made, laundry collected from each bedroom, breakfast dishes 9from when hubby & teens have breakfast before I wake up) washed, laundry started (we converted a hall closet in to the laundry closet with the washer & dryer stacked in it instead of having to go down to the basement), kitchen counter and table washed and the dusting and sweeping done. After that whatever needs done is simple to do. Getting in to a routine helps a lot!
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 12:39 AM on Oct. 24, 2009