My 5yr old son has a fever of 103.2 ...what would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Advil, a body temp bath, keep him hydrated. If it gets worse, then take him to the ER. Call a nuse line and see what the nurse thinks. It will depend on what other symptoms he has. If it is just the fever, he should be ok. If he is acting "abnormal", his neck hurts, ears hurt, etc then take him to the ER now. Sometimes, lower fevers signal problems if there are other symptoms going on or the child isn't acting "right " for them. A fever is the bodies way to rid the body of infection.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:26 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• watch it closely, maybe call the nurse hotline my insurance has. I think at 104 is when they tell you to go to the er.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 12:15 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Have you tried anything to bring it down.Tylenol,motrin a soak in the bathtub( body temperature water).

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I don't hand out Motrin like candy. he had a dose this morning because his head was hurting so bad he cried.

I gave him a bath. it didn't help. He has body aches, and headaches. Very tired. But other then that he's acting normal.

he's had the fever for 3 nights and it has steadily gone up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• he is fighting something off, i wouldnt give him any meds unless he is uncomforatble. My son had something like this 2 weeks ago and it lasted 4 days then it went down and he got a cough and it has been hanging around since.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:14 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Give him Tylenol. Take his temp again in an hour. If it has gone down, check it again in another hour. If it did not go down, or spikes again in the second hour, call the pediatrician's office.

You can alternate Motrin and Tylenol every couple of hours if you're having trouble getting the fever down, but I personally wouldn't do it unless under the advice of the pediatrician. (but then my kids can't take motrin anyway so I can't do it for my kids)

Give the pediatrician a call no matter just to know what the DOCTOR wants you to do.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:14 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Call the pediatician and inform him/her of the situation and see what they advise doing-- if they want you to bring the child in now or if it is ok to stay home and try to bring the fever down first.
    Give the child a fever reducer (tylenol, advil, motrin), push fluids, and give the child a bath or sponge him off to help bring down the fever. I would also keep a close eye on the temp and take it every hour- keeping track of what each temp is. If the temp does not go down or if it gets worse then call the doctor back and insist on taking the child in for an appointment.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:23 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I'd call the 1st Nurse( in your area I don't know what they are called). Going into the Dr. office is a no... no... w/all this flu and H1N1 because of spreading it. It was recomended to me when I called about my 11 yo dd if your kid is real... listless or call your Dr or nurse that your child goes to.
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 12:00 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• So if your kid has had this fever for 3 days, WHY OH WHY haven't you called the doctor or even TAKEN HIM TO SEE THE DOCTOR!!! DUH!!!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 3:15 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Id call the doctor, one of the first signs of swine flu in young kids is a high fever that wont go down.
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 4:50 PM on Oct. 24, 2009