My 5yr old son has a fever of 103.2 ...what would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• stay calm. give tylonal. let him sip on cold ice water, or even a popcicle and place a cold wash cloth or ice pack on the back of his neck (there are main blood vessels that lead to the head and cooling that blood first will give the meds time to take effect and he will not get hotter in the process. Keep the meds in him (tylonal every 4 hours, motrin every 6 wake him up if needed to get it him in till morning) then revaluate if his fever comes back up. If it continues to rise tonight call the ER for more advice. But this is what my DR's office told me just last week. her fever came down with meds and was gone in 36 hours. with out any meds at all. It will save you lots of $$$$
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 12:22 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I would take him to the ER.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 12:15 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Don't take him to the er, the waiting time will probably be 4 hours because of all the flu patients and they will laugh at you and tell you the fever isn't that high. As a parent I think 103 is ridiculously high but as someone who has a dr and nurse in her family i've learned dr.'s don't care about fevers under 105. Give him some tylenol, and a luke warm bath, NOT hot or cold, but LUKE WARM. This is very important because too hot, like normal bath temperature or too cold, as in just the cold water with no heat could send him into seizures. Also let him eat popsicles and drink plenty of fluids. If needed you can alternate between tylenol and ibuprofin (sp?) every 2 hours, give one then 2 hours later give the opposite. Hope he feels better!
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:22 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I would take him to the er. I mean the whole swine flu is going around and the regular flu. I heard if a child has a fever for a long period of time and you can't break it, it will cause brain damage. So since the season is for flu right now, i would just take him to the er to be safe.
    HANNAHSMOMMY25

Answer by HANNAHSMOMMY25 at 12:23 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I heard if a child has a fever for a long period of time and you can't break it, it will cause brain damage

Typically this is a fever greater then 105 that lasts longer then 24-48 hours, not what her son has. And this is an extreme situation, fevers are our bodies naturally trying to fight off unknown substances and therefore a good thing. It when they become extreme, greater then 105, that a fever becomes dangerous. Now, if this were an infant we were talking about things would be different, but at 5 you're more likely going to catch the swine flu at the er then if you stay home with a slight fever.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:28 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• My husband took my son to the ER sunday night for having 103.9 temp.The Dr told him he was right for bringing him in for a temp over 102.He told my husband that his own granddaughter started having seizures at 104.Just keep a close watch on it.And do what you can to bring it down.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I would give tylenol/advil and call the nurse explaining the fever and other symptoms. Our Ped feels that anything to 101 is OK and not to give meds unless the child is extremely uncomfortable. But I would go with my instincts, if you feel there's more to it then you need to decide whether or not a trip to the ER is necessary!

Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 12:32 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Any thing at or above 102 can cause severe problems for the brain the child needs an ER NOW!!!
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 1:01 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I just took my son to the doctor today for a fever of 104 with vomiting. She told me to alternate Motrin and Tylenol every 3 hours, which I was already doing. She tested him for Influenza A and gave me a prescription for anti-nausea meds. If your son can keep down fluids, that will help a lot. Mine was throwing up any more than a spoonful of water at a time and refuses to try Pedialyte. Good luck.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:03 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I agree with the poster at 12:22AM...ba13ygrl1987 AND JulieJacobKyle .........I mean if the fever has lasted more then several hours and has not broken at ALL once trying the lukewarm bath a few times.......then go with instincts and take your child to the ER.

My son had a fever of the same not long ago and the lukewarm bath really helped. I heard about that trick over 20 years ago and it can indeed help. YES get his head wet too and just let this luke warm water go all over his back......take a cup and keep pouring the water over his shoulders....etc., then dress him lightly. But snuggled if cold.

Just keep him hydrated if he can keep liquids down.........and the BEST thing is actually WARM GREEN (ORIGINAL) GATORADE........OR POWERADE......... the GREEN one. A bit easier on the stomach. A few popscicles wont hurt either!

Good luck and hope your little guy gets to feeling better SOON!
    carolinablues50

Answer by carolinablues50 at 2:51 AM on Oct. 24, 2009