My 1 month DD tries to sleep on her stomach

My DD is one month she will not sleep on her back at all she will wake back up and cry she will sleep on her side but rolls right to her stomach which i didnt think they could do. She insists on sleeping on her stomach and she can move her head from one side to the other i have watched her.. what do i do...

kelsbug05

Asked by kelsbug05 at 12:42 AM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When you put her to bed lay her on her back. ...but if she finds a way to get on her stomach and is still sleeping don't worry about it.

Does she sleep in the room with you? or does she have her own room?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:51 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• okay okay i know everyone says babies sleeping on their stomach is a sids risk. and that is because the baby can suffocate on blankets or toys in the crib. But (dont think im a bad mom!) I've been putting my daughter to sleep on her tummy since birth. she's 7 months now...and i just clear the bed of anything that could block her breathing. im not really sure whats up with the anti-stomach sleeping, but i dont follow it. its your call though.
    Bernie19

Answer by Bernie19 at 12:53 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Bernie

They recommend to have everything out of the cribs even for babies who sleep on their backs. They think that one of the possible reasons why sleeping on the stomach increases SIDS is because the baby might be breathing in their own carbon dioxide. This risk is lowered when the baby sleeps on it's back.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:04 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• You can use a side sleeper. Neither of my girls would slee on their backs, the side sleeper was the best 10 dollars I ever spent.
    lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 8:40 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Babies arent supposed to sleep on their bellies cause they could suffocate or breath in their own C02 and suffocate. But if she has the muscle tone and ability to roll on to her belly, then she has enough to move her head if she starts to suffocate.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 10:43 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• if you babys neck is strong enough to move from side to side, then let her sleep on her tummy. then say on the babies back just because if they somehow get their nose in the sheets,. they need to be able to lift their neck to breath, all my sisters and i slept on our tummies and we turned out fine, just trust your mothers instint.
    newmom092009

Answer by newmom092009 at 1:39 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• There are many risk factors for SIDS. Sleeping on the tummy is just one. Did you know you are supposed to breastfeed at least a year, not let the baby get overheated, each baby is to have a new mattress, and run a fan in the room? You might want to look at all the risk factors. If you do all the other things then one thing might not be so bad.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:44 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• well call me a terrible mommy but my 3 week old will only sleep on his tummy, and i let him. he can lift his head and move it no problem. i have his crib in the room with me, so i check him every once in a while, but he's just fine.
    amberwriteslove

Answer by amberwriteslove at 6:49 PM on Oct. 24, 2009