I can't get my 9 1/2 month old to stay on the same schedule, is it my fault?

My son is almost 10 months old. He usually sleeps 10-12 hours a night. We are now on a pretty good schedule of him being in bed usually no later than 9:30. Between 8:30-9:00 pm we start getting him ready for bed. Sometimes after having the last bottle he'll play or soothe himself to sleep in his crib, if he doesn't go to sleep in our arms.

My problem is I can't get him to stay on the same schedule for napping. I would love to have the nap times down, so we can plan our days out better. Somedays he takes 2 naps. The 1st nap could be 2 hrs long & the 2nd one 1.5 hrs long. Other days he'll barely sleep 1 hr. He gets up at the same time every morning, our daily routine stays the same, but sometimes he'll push back the nap time 2 hours or more. I'm a structured person and love to try and exercise, clean, shower, relax while he's sleeping. I don't get it, or adjust well to the off sched. and it drives me bonkers. Then I feel guilty

appleofhzi

Asked by appleofhzi at 12:42 AM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It sounds like he's trying to figure out how much he should be sleeping. Or maybe he only needs one nap. ...10 hours at night is plenty of sleep for a child this age, especially with a 2 hour nap in the day. ...

to me it sounds like he's getting to much sleep.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:46 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• For his age he should be getting 10-12 hours a night and at least a 2 hour nap in once a day. When he doesn't take the nap, or pushes it back he's irritable and unpleasant to be around, until he caves. I agree with him trying to figure out how much or when he wants to sleep. Seems like for a couple of days he'll bulk up on sleep and then others he'll go with as little as possible.

Anything I can do to help him regulate better?
    appleofhzi

Answer by appleofhzi at 12:53 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Like i said. ...it sounds like he's getting too much sleep.

I'd try to keep his night sleep to a max of 10 hours.

If you don't agree with that (as his mother you know best) then try to not let him sleep so long during nap time. Or have him only take 1 nap that is 3 hours long. (if you can. ...you'd have to build up to it, ya know).
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:08 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Heck, no, it's not your fault. HE knows how much sleep he needs...and forget what the books say.

One of the lessons of motherhood is being flexible. His schedule is darned good; mine NEVER napped and never slept more than three hours in a row at night.

Do yourself a favor and let go a little bit. Your son knows what he needs for sleep; he's ruled by instinct and instinct is a harsh taskmaster.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:38 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• You are going to have to relax your scheduled ways. You are lucky he has been so easy so far. You are going to go crazy and need meds when he is 2 if you don't learn to relax now.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:40 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Thanks. Just frustrating sometimes. We are pretty relaxed and he is WONDERFUL. I just feel like a bad Mom when I hear my other "mom friends" say how great their babies are and they go down at the nap time, every day. I guess I need to plug my ears. :)
    appleofhzi

Answer by appleofhzi at 12:17 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Sounds like your son might need more activity during the day. It is common for babies to push around their nap schedule, but it usually means that your child is just need more activity to make him tired. It's great that his nighttime schedule has been consistant though. Try getting him more active in the morning. Chasing him around the living room (if he's mobile), playing with different toys and games that allow him to burn off some energy. Giving him more activity, especially outside acitivity will help him want a nap. Which will help push him into a natural nap cycle.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:00 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• "I just feel like a bad Mom when I hear my other "mom friends" say how great their babies are and they go down at the nap time, every day. I guess I need to plug my ears. :)"

The only bad mom is the one who beats her baby.

But comparing infants is a fool's errand, and no mom has time for foolishness. Yes, plug your ears.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:28 PM on Oct. 26, 2009