Good bedtime routine

My two year old son won't go to sleep at night...he wakes up or just won't go to sleep. He can be up until one or two in the morning and still not go to sleep. I need a way to get him on a set schedule not for my sake but for his. I know its not good for him if he isnt on a set schedule but i don't know what it should consist of. I work until 730 and insist on eating dinner as a family when i get in....how long should he sleep? should he still be napping during the day?

Joshiesxmama

Asked by Joshiesxmama at 12:48 AM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I personally have not found a schedule to be all that helpful, but most mothers swear by them. DS usually goes to bed between 9-10 pm and has since we moved here at 17 mos. He still takes long hard naps during the day and is a beast when he doesn't get them. He just cannot seem to sleep more than about 8 hours without waking up hungry. Our very loose scedual is dinner around 5, then playtime for a while with daddy. Then bath if its bath night, then snack then he curls up and falls asleep with a toy. Some nights its 8pm but lights out is 10 so he is always down by then. He is 3.5 now.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 12:54 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• i think it depends on your child and your family, at least until school starts. my son is 2 1/2 yrs. old i started a bed time routine because that is what works for us. bathtime is around 8pm, dressed, brush teeth and read two books before bed one whatever he wants and the 2nd is always the same. just the way he likes it! he's always in bed by 9pm most of the time 8:30.
    nikkib4407

Answer by nikkib4407 at 1:02 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I say yes , its nice if he'd nap during the day. If he's sleeping too long maybe have him nap 15 minutes less. See if that helps Plus someone could take him to the park and let him run around to make himself tired. or have someone run around with him in the back yard.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:10 AM on Oct. 24, 2009