Was your child speaking "words" at 7 months?

My child's pediatrician asked me if my 7 month old daughter says "ba, da, ma, la" or any audible constanant-vowel pairings. Actually, she screams and squeals. She's never said any distinguishable sound like "ma" or "da". I'm not sure if I should be worried, but I have been ever since the doctor asked. Everyday I say "MA MA" and try to teach her. Was your baby saying any constanant-vowel pairings by 7 mos?

Bernie19

Asked by Bernie19 at 12:59 AM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son is 7 month and I am tryingto teach him since he was 51/2. He said pa pa pa "te te te te te" an ta tat ta ta ta"
    zip10469

Answer by zip10469 at 1:03 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• my dd did do the "ma" and da da" but you wanna hear something outrageous?? okay an old friend of my hubs and i said his 7 month old dd said to her mother "i dont want breastmilk i want real food" LOL we of course didnt believe him but he swears his child was "just that advanced"

anywho i wouldnt worry baout your lol she'll get it:)
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 1:05 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• * LO not lol..sorry
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 1:06 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I wouldn't worry until she hits one year and isn't saying any word that actually has meaning. ...meaning that not only can she say mama but she knows that mama means YOU (or at least that it means caregiver).
    ...if she gets to 1 year and isn't saying any clear words that truly have meaning then it is time to worry.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:15 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• My oldest son could only say mama and dada on his second birthday. He is in first grade now and has one of the largest vocabularies in his class and reading above grade level. I wouldn't worry about your 7 month old not talking yet, LOL, just my opinion.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 3:57 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• he would make sounds lik mmmaaaaaaaa or ddddddddaaaaaa but he wouldnt look at me or his dad and say mama or dada not for a long time
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 6:34 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• At 7 months they're not looking for words, they're only looking for them to be making sounds. That's all. Is it important that they do it at 7 months, no. But it should start soon. It's the beginning of babbling, nothing more, nothing less.

They should definitely be babbling by one year and have a vocabulary of at least 50 words by the age of two. They should also be using 2-3 word phrases (starting to) at the age of 2. My youngest wasn't and after one year of speech therapy, he's surpassed his peers in vocabulary although he does still have a mild articulation delay.

My next older one is still in speech with a moderate articulation delay. I couldn't imagine leaving them with no help and expecting them "to catch up when they're ready".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:26 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• My son was saying Oohma which was mama at that age
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:56 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Just give it some time, it should be happening soon. One day your little one will not be saying anything and then the next day. DADADADA or MAMAMA or something along those lines will pop out.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:35 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• You don't have to worry about right now, he;ll get there soon enough when he ready.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 1:19 PM on Oct. 24, 2009