Does your son wake up crying, screaming?

My son for the past 2 yrs ( he is 4 now ) will wake up from his sleep and either be crying soon as he walks out of his room or starting screaming. A few times he walks in a daze and I have to console him quietly to get him back into the bedroom, but he is so out of it.....he has been known to cry/yell for 15 -20 min.... I assume its night terrors....he doesnt recall anything when I ask the next morning. Only once he said he dreamt of big dinosaurs.......

JaxFLMom45

Asked by JaxFLMom45 at 1:47 PM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yes, my son does this also..just about everytime that he awakens. Which is about 3-4 times a nite. He never seems upset after I get up and go to him, sooo I am assuming it is a scream to get immediate attention and a quick response. Usually it is a request for more milk, after he gets a refill...over to sweet dreams again. He is a screamer...like most 2 year olds. I only can hope it is a phase as it really shakes the nerves. Hope your little one grows out of it too!
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 1:52 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• My son used to do that. He would be dead asleep and screaming and know nothing about it the next morning. Started when he was about 2 and he finally (i'm guessing) grew out of most of it at about 4 1/2. It still happens occasionally (he's 5 now) but nowhere near as much. Hope it gets better for you soon.
    silence68shh

Answer by silence68shh at 2:56 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• My son did that when he was 2 until he was 4, doc told me it was night terrors. It does get better. Just talk to him quiely and put them back in bed.
    L.R.I.Ma

Answer by L.R.I.Ma at 3:19 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I try to console him best I can so he doesn't wake the whole house! Poor thing, its like he doesnt even want me some times and yells..dont touch me, leave me alone!!! I have to coax him back to the bedroom. Oddly enough he does not do this if I am in the room asleep. I pray he outgrows it as well!

THANKS for the replies Moms!
    JaxFLMom45

Answer by JaxFLMom45 at 3:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• my son does this, they call it sleep apnea, he stops breathing while hes asleep and when he realizes it, he wakes up screaming, the doc said it will go away with time.
    CamnJaydensMom

Answer by CamnJaydensMom at 5:46 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• My oldest use to do it for about 6 months or so..like clockwork at 2:30 am. Kicking and screaming running through the house. Scared the heck out of me. We had been through some big changes in our life, I hung out with someone who was not so nice to her own kid. When I stopped hanging out with her and things began to smooth out in our life..it stopped.

My Dr. told me not to wake him but to make sure he did not hurt himself. When he would wake up, i was there to comfort him and put him back to bed.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 1:40 AM on Jun. 25, 2008