Struggling to litterbox train our Kitty

Penelope, our kitten is about 2 months old. We found her outside of our house about a month ago near death. We took her to the vet and got her fixed up. We had to keep her crated for about 10 days because she had an upper respiratory infection and could not be around our son. During that time we introduced her to the litter box in her crate. At first she used it like she was supposed to, then she began poooping everwhere else in her crate but the litter box and sleeping in it instead.

We've had her in the house for about 20 days now. If she is in a small enclosed room she'll use it most of the time . If I put it out in the open in our living room, she'll use it. I have now tried moving it to a corner of the living room and she won't use it! She has 2 places she likes to go and that's where she goes! She's beginning to drive me crazy and hubby is threatening to put her outside if she doesn't get it soon! HELP!

Nika75

Asked by Nika75 at 1:06 AM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Pets

• Also, I would eventually like to move the box out of our main living area, but she can't even manage to use it now, so I don't know when I'll be able to. What can I use to deter her from using her favorite spots.

Also, I run an inhome daycare and the solution is not to keep the box in the open where kids can get to it easily.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 1:08 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• When she poops in her favorite spots move her poop to the litter box. And make sure she KNOWS that you've moved it. and then put her in the box as well.
    When you're showing her you moved it you might even tap her butt (like a spanking but not hard of course) or her nose to let her know it's not acceptable to poop in that other spot.

This is how we trained all our kittens when I was a little girl. ...Most of them got it. If they didn't ...then they didn't stay in our family long.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:12 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• ahhh yes kitten training lol, I have 4 kittens who are coming up on 5 months old (sons cat got pregnant whoops) so we started with the litter box in the main area where they were kept at 2 months old it needs to be nearby and you also need to be putting her in it every hour at the very least, make a digging motion with her paw, continue to move the accidents to the litter box. Once the kitten is 3 months old each day move the litter box a few feet towards its final resting place. If you try to move it too far too soon the accidents will start up again. eventually she will get it 2 months old is very young and normally mom is still helping by cleaning the babies to some extenet at this age. just remember she is a baby and will be for quite a while, by age 4 months your kitten will be doing everything they way she should.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:23 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I HAVE A KITTEN IS ABOUT 3 MOUNTHS OLD AND SHE WILL NOT USE THAT DAM LITTER PAN AND I TRYED EVERY THANG AND NOTHEING WORKED GO IM TRYING TO FIND HER ASS A NEW HOME ! ! GOOOOD LUCK !
    Anonymous

• ive had several litters of kittens and at 3 weeks they all started using the box on their own.. anyway, i just joined and im appalled at some of the postings like the one above.. and this is a mom?? hope her kids never have an accident
    drdoolittle

Answer by drdoolittle at 2:49 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• We had this problem with our kitten. She would use the litter box if she was in the room with it, or if we put her in it. But she wouldn't seek it out. We just learned to watch her. As soon as we saw her heading to one of her potty spots we would grab her and put her in the little box. We would also always leave one poop in the box so she would smell it. It took a few weeks, but now she goes to the litter box on her own (unless DH locks her out of the bathroom, which he has done a few times).
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 9:35 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• In my experience, if the momma cat never taught the kitten the proper way to use the litter box you might be out of luck. You may never be able to get it to do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on Oct. 27, 2009