How much do you pay for daycare/childcare?

How may kids do you have in daycare?

How do you afford it?!?!

Are there programs out there than can temporarily help out with daycare cost?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Oct. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't, I stay at home! I guess if you count the pay that I'm NOT getting then I'm losing $18 an hour to stay home with her lol!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:20 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• in which state do you live?
    zip10469

Answer by zip10469 at 1:21 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• When I was paying for it I paid $2.00 per hour per child but my children were in daycare for only 2-3 hours per day.

Now I stay home and charge people $2.50 per hour it equals out to $50 per week part time and $100 per week full time. In my area that is the going rate and I know many of the other providers and we all charge the same rate. Now the centers in my area actually charge more their rates are closer to $2.75 per hour and charge a monthly activity and food fee those range from $20-$50 per month and they also charge to take your child or pick them up from school $1.00 each way they close at 5 pm and you have stricter guidelines like they only allow you to have one vacation week per year unpaid, in home daycare has more flexability in the rules.

It's expensive especially for those who need full time care for me if I had my 3 kids in full time care each month that would cost me $1200 per month.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:30 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• If you live in NYC here is a link http://nyc.gov/html/acs/html/child_care/child_care_information.shtml
    zip10469

Answer by zip10469 at 1:41 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I did daycare and I charged $30 per day for a full day, but her parents were college professors and she was pretty pampered.. I cooked her organic food and did more of a preschool setting than anything... and she was the only child I watched.. so they paid more for that.
    When my son was in daycare it was $25 a day for 6 hours or less, for a full 8 it was $30... but this was the cheapest place we could find that was still state certified and clean/safe. For the nicer places it would have run us about $40 a day... they charged by the week, it ended up being around $800 a month to put him in the nicest place- and thats PER CHILD... which is why I am a SAHM... I cant make enough money per month in Utah where min. wage is almost half of WA where we used to live... and I wont work only to pay daycare costs sooooo.. thats life!
    DSHS in WA had a program to help pay for childcare if your income was low enough.
    LuminousMom

Answer by LuminousMom at 3:00 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• 85$ for 3 days a week. We go to school and work so he needs it. But we scheduled our schedules so he's only there for 3 days. It's not that huge of an expense that it is hurting us. In California, they have Kids N Care, you have to be on Welfare to Work and go to orientations, turn in a bunch of paperwork. Seemed like a big hassle, so we didn't do it.
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 6:53 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I paid $400 a week when I had 2 in full time care. At one point summers were $900 a week. Sounds foolish until you realize that working thru THAT I was able to get to where I am today-making a whole LOT more than if I had taken a decade or so off.
    And since I did wind up divorced after 20 years of marriage, I am particularly glad I stuck it out. my kids can go to college without having to work and study both. My oldest is in her sophmore year and has YET to get anything other than an A. I am so so proud of her for all of her work and studying-and glad I am able to allow her te luxury of NOT having to work on top of that.
    College IS her job right now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• My neighbor does in home daycare/preschool. she charges $30 a day and from what I hear that's pretty cheep. My son is in a preschool program and it's 9 hours a week for $65 - that's cheep around here too!! We are in MA - so things are a bit expensive. The going rate for a HS kid babysitter is $10/ hour here.

So my hubby works 5-1 and I work 2-whenever just so we don't need much help.... but that doesn't always work out for every one!! Good luck!! ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 12:15 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I'm in Montana and I do daycare out of my home. I charge $500 a month for full time. ($100/ month for 1 day a week, $200/month for 2 days a week, etc.) For drop in I do $20 a day for potty trained, $25 a day for not potty trained. I provide meals and snacks for kids on table food. Parents have to bring formula or breast milk for bottles. I am pretty cheap for the area though. Most centers charge anywhere from $500- $800 a month. There are programs for assistance based on income in our state, there may be something in yours as well. Look under Children/Family Services in the Services section of your phone book. Our local agency that monitors childcare centers and coordinates food programs and government assistance for parents is called Childcare Connections, but the name varies by city. Most licensed daycares will know what programs are available to you as well.
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 12:45 PM on Oct. 24, 2009