Do you think their are any "PROS" in being a teen mom?

if so what are they? if not what are the cons?

mommy16love

Asked by mommy16love at 2:53 AM on Oct. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• hmm. no. i don't think there are any pros.

Cons ...well, my mom said it was really odd that her son was marrying a woman only 15 years younger then her ...but then she realized that that's what you get when you have your first kid at 17.

other cons
    many teen moms don't finish high school. many teen moms don't have stable father figures for their babies. many teen moms don't know what kind of resources they have or what their choices are (for many many things!)
    the list could go on and on. and some of them aren't exclusive to only teen moms.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:57 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• they didn't have an abortion
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:01 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• i was a teen mother. i had my dd at 17. i also got married when i was 17. i planned everything out when i found out i was pregnant. form that time on we had our own place paid our own bills. we are still happily married and are doing amazing! "pros" and cons are not relevant when you are carring a beautiful bundle of love inside of you. true i had to grow up very fast, and think about adult descions while still being a child myself. very young and scared but i steppe dup and so did the father.we are still together and love it. i am very glad i conceived when i did.life and fate will never throw anything at you that you cant handle. cons are not relevant when you first look into your newborns eyes.
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 3:02 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• i love your answer naturepeace =]]
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 3:05 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• thank you:)
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 3:07 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Pros
    you will be young enough to still enjoy life when you children turn 18
    you will understand them better
    you will have more energy
    you will less likely embarass your child
    your kids wont have to hear the in my day stories from parents.
    cons
    you have to grow up sooner
    you will have to work hard
    you will have to put your fun time on hold
    a small sacrifice for what you receive.
    I would not trade being a young parent for the world
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 5:04 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I'm sorry, but I don't think there are any "pros" to it. I think you can make the best of a bad situation (getting pg as a teen), and there can be happy outcomes, but I don't think of that as a "pro".

Cons - To me, I think it's hard enough to be a teenager, finishing growing up, dealing with school, exploring who you are and who you want to be as an adult, what you want to do with your life, etc. You have to deal with teen hormones, relationships, etc.

Having a baby, while rewarding, is also hard work. They are also expensive - and teens don't have that kind of money. They need you to basically put other things on hold and be the center of your world (as they should be).

Teen relationships are hard. Having a baby can be hard on a relationship. NOT saying that this is bad or anything like that, but it is what it is. The two together are even harder, and less likely to succeed.

cont

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:12 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I had my son when I was 17 and me and his dad both finished school and are in college and as of January happily married. I love being a young mom..I will be able to relate to my son better being younger.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:14 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• cont

Putting the 2 worlds together - teens and babies - while not impossible, becomes much harder. You can make a success of it if it happens, but why would you want to choose to start with 3 strikes against you?

It would be much better to wait until you are an adult and established as such before you decide to raise a child. Because, while it's rewarding, why would you want to make life harder for yourself and for your child by having one before you're truly able to care for him /her?

BTW - I had my kids when I was 20 and 21, married, and my dh and I both were on our own financially and etc (we were in the military). Now I'm 37. One of my best friends is 28, and she had her ds when she was 15. She's like 3 classes away from her degree in Financial Management. We BOTH love our kids, but we BOTH hope, for their sakes, that our kids are older than we were when they have kids.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:19 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• big hearts 2 naturepeace and hot-momma 86!!!!
    u'll have more energy,can go on less sleep + evertyhting hot-momma said!!! :)
    DM-dreamgirl

Answer by DM-dreamgirl at 6:20 AM on Oct. 24, 2009