My 9yo is obsessed with having a girlfriend!

I moved my son to a new school because he was constantly fighting and getting bad grades at his last school. So far this year he is getting A's and doing great but also seems to be obsessed with having a girlfriend. DH is upset about it but I don't know what to do because he is doing SO GOOD. As soon as he gets home from school he does his homework, reads, and does chores so he can go play with her asap. I don't think it's bad playing he just likes to skate and talk with her. What do I do? At what age is it not okay for girls and boys to play together?

drgnfly77

Asked by drgnfly77 at 8:28 AM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• It sounds pretty harmless to me. Just watch out for behavior that could lead to something more than 'playing.' I don't think there is an age that boys and girls shouldn't be allowed to play together. I was never not allowed to hang out with boys. They're 9 and it seems like they are just having fun. As long as they are supervised and now being intimate, then I don't see what the prob is.
    Tashwitz

Answer by Tashwitz at 8:30 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Some children have very romantic natures. Also, the feeling of being like "the best" by someone is important for a kid or adult who has just had a big social change like switching schools. I wouldn't worry about it unless you find out about misbehavior.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:28 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Meh, my son is ten and already has wedding plans with his girlfriend.
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 3:24 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• i do not think there comes an age where it is "not ok" to have friends of the opposite sex. i believe that would be giving them the wrong impression. i've always had 'boyfriends' as in, boys that were friends... its not unhealthy.
    as long as their play seems normal, i would not be overly concerned with it. if you see any odd behavior, anything that would indicate more than average play, i would be concerned... but thats just me.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:46 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• It's always OK for girls and boys to play together and be friends. Just make sure that the girl he is friendly with is receptive to it.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:47 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• why wouldn't it be ok for girls and boys to play with each other..

have you had the talk yet?
    pisces_chick89

Answer by pisces_chick89 at 5:36 PM on Oct. 27, 2009